painting electrical panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, there is not.

If for some reason there might be a name plate on the exterior, you'd need to protect it from being painted over.

Roger

Last edited:

barclayd

I used to work for a company that liked to have their panels painted.
It caused us a lot of problems - Try to keep them from painting the Screw Slots and Hinges, or you'll have fun even opening the doors & covers.
Sometimes the paint they use doesn't adhere too well to the factory finish.
(Unless, of course, they use sandpaper or steel wool - please don't)
Electrical stuff is beautiful just the way it is.
db

76nemo

Who???

Who???

I take a good pride in my work. The services and panels should stand out for what they are. When the painter tells me the HO wants them painted magenta, like the rest of the room, I can really pee somebody off:mad:

barclayd

sandsnow said:
Factory finish on outdoor equipment only lasts so long. I recommend painting them. The factory finish will not last forever.

If you're going to mount a box a foot away from a lawn sprinkler, the latex paint they'll probably use won't do much good after a couple weeks anyway.
I still say - Don't Paint.
db

tonyou812

that looks like a few meter cans that I swapped out in the past. IMO it was mainly due to the hard water from the sprinkler systems that was splashing on them.

cschmid

I paint them alot..I like to lay them out and paint them before I install them get a better job..I have painted them when I am done..I paint them so they don't use latex on them and the paint peals off..I use rustolem or other types of metal paint..I have even gutted them taken them to body shop had them painted and reassembled them and installed them..So if there is a code forbiding them to be painted..oops..:grin: :D my painting is an intentional act..

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There is not even a code that says electrical equipment needs to be "grey", it is just tradition.

Painting panels can be advantagous where the environment is not so kind to the standard finish from the manufacturer.

It can also be pretty cool...
Paintedcover1.jpg

SiddMartin

Pierre C Belarge said:
Painting panels can be advantagous where the environment is not so kind to the standard finish from the manufacturer.

It can also be pretty cool...
Paintedcover1.jpg

obvisouly someone talented tried to cover up crappy electrical work

76nemo

FWIW, the OP asked about painting the exterior of a panel, not an "exterior panel". Funny how quick the subject can go in the wrong direction/intention.
Pierre, neat picture. Wonder if they do Mossy Oak:grin:

ryan_618

SiddMartin said:
obvisouly someone talented tried to cover up crappy electrical work

Either that or somebody thinks stone veneer is more appealing to the eye than a panelboard! If I had my choice, I wouldn't want to see any of the electrical in my house.

zdog

i dont mind it when a painter will paint the cover,but just dont caulk it.try to take the cover off and pull paint off a foot awayor spend 10 min trying to neatly cut into it:grin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.