Panel approved for aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mongo1953

I have a customer who had a home inspection done. He has a 1978 vintage Westinghouse GLC 24 100 amp combination panel. All his branch cct wiring is aluminum. The home inspector noted in his report that the panel MAY not be rated for use with aluminum wiring. I could not spot anything on the panel indicating one way or the other. The breakers are CU/AL, but the concern is the rest of the panel. Does anybody know if that panel is CU/AL or where I could find out?

Thanks

celtic

What would the difference be if the Al conductors are terminated on an Al/CU breaker???

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. I say it's up to him to prove the panel was not compliant when it was installed.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Mongo! :)

Mongo1953

TY fellas. I did find an indication on the inside of the panel cover that referred to al wire and went with that. I was wanting to be able to document things as I was doing an aluminum remediation so the HO could get insurance. I did find almost every device in the house was not rated for use with al and found 4 outlets with evidence of loose connections and overheating. Hallway outlet, 2 split counter top receptacles, and the fridge receptacle that someone had plugged a big convection microwave in with the fridge.

All fixed. They happy.

220/221

The home inspector noted in his report that the panel MAY not be rated for use with aluminum wiring

That guy is an idiot. I HATE when people communicate like this. He is saying NOTHING so why bother.

It's as bad as someone saying "it should work". If you don't KNOW, just say "I don't know" so I can move on and find someone who DOES know.

Status
Not open for further replies.