Panel Board Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassil

Can you please explain to me the following formula on a panel board (480VAC 3phase 3wire) drawings?

22465/277 = 81.10 + 25%(7.6) = 83.0 WSA

Thank you very much

ed downey

Re: Panel Board Calculation

Maybe They Are Looking At Individual Single Phase Loads And Not The Complete System 22,465 Watts / 277 V = 81.10 Amps Plus 25% For Continuous Load 7.60 Amps Total Of 87.70 Amps Single Phase.

I Don't Know Why They Are Doing This Though.
-Ed

rick5280

Actually, this is the formula for figuring out how many Wrong Silly Answers one would get while figuring out just what the heck the figures mean!
In other words, you will get 83 WSA (wrong silly answers) before you give up trying to do this calculation.

On a serious note, is there any information ahead of the formula? It looks to me like the 22465 might be watts, 277 might be volts (22465/277 = 81.10amps?), but the 25% is throwing me. 25% of 7.6 is 1.90, and would make that part of the calc correct ( 81.10 + 1.90 = 83), but where did the 7.6 come from, and what the heck is WSA????

Rick Miell

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by bassil: . . . formula on a panel board
Do you mean that you found this information written (perhaps by hand) on the face of a panelboard? If not, then where did it come from? Wherever it came from, it is nonsense.

Please note that the division of 22465 by 277 represents a single phase of the three phase system. If you are interested in, for example, checking on the size of the conductors to this panel, then a factor of the square root of three has to come into the equation at least two times.

lady sparks lover

that's a strange one.

I would guess that:

22465/277 = 81.10 + 25%(7.6) = 83.0 WSA

22465 equals the watts or VA

277 equals the voltage

81.10 equals amps of all the other loads

7.6 is the maybe the amps of largest motor on the panel

25% is the 125% of the largest motor.

the sum of all the loads will give you the load of the panel.

Am I right?? :)

d and o

my third grade teacher took off points if you didn't "show your work". She would have used up two red pencils on that one.

bwyllie

If it is on a drawing why not ask the person who drew it and get back to us and tell us what it is.

bonding jumper

Yeah I remember this one from college, isn't this Kirchoff's second law, but I think he used the wrong value for G=9.81 not 7.6 and his units are incorrect it shouldn't be WSA, it should be Footpound furlongs.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

bonding jumper:

I'm sure you ment Footpounds-furlongs per fortnight.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.