Panel board quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanert

Hello,

I walked into a two story, bank/office building a few months ago. Its in a rural area, without electrical inspectors. I was kind of blown away when I saw Sq D. Homeline subpanels for the distribution. Everthing I have ever done in places of assembly or commercial buildings have been either bolt on breakers or the snap in jaw type breakers. QO or QOB if you use Square D material.
Where would I find the rules for how you qualify the right type of gear with the right type of insallation.
Also, do they have a square foot calculation on how many people you can put into a building.
Article 518, places of assembly, state that to qualify for that article, the building or structure has to be designed or intended for the assembly of 100 or more persons.
Just wondering how you find out how many people you can put in a restaurant, or a conference room.
Thanks

jtester

Re: Panel board quality.

Yanert
I don't know of a rule forbidding inexpensive load centers in commercial applications as long as AIC requirements, etc., are met.
There are rules for calculating the occupant load of a building or space. In our area the IBC applies, and we refer to Table 1004.1.2.
For restaurants and conference rooms without fixed seating the following is the ratio
Concentrated (chairs only-not fixed) 7sq ft/person
Standing space 5 sq ft/person
Unconcentrated (tables and chairs) 15 sq ft/person
Jim T

peter d

All things considered, there really isn't a problem with using Homeline panels in that type of application. It is more common that you think, even in the "big city."

The type of switchgear is usually spec'd by an engineer, and in the absence of that, by the installing contractor.

There are no rules in the NEC that say "You must use bolt-on breakers in all commercial buildings."

As for places of assembly, it is defined in the NEC and also mandated by local building officials or the fire marshall.

iwire

Staff member

I agree with Peter that it is not prohibited.

That said I really hate to see ECs low ball a bid and use bottom of the line equipment in a building that was built with top of the line gear. :cool:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

The way I see it is this. Who really cares? As long as what you provide works, and is safe, and gives good overall value, use the less expensive stuff.

I did not always feel this way, but the plain facts are that economic considerations are an important part of design work.

I used to not like IEC style euqipment, thinking they were "junk" because they were not as solidly built as the NEMA stuff I was used to. Eventually, I realized that as long as I took a little more care using them, the IEC stuff worked every bit as well, and in some cases worked out better, and in virtually all cases was more cost effective.

The way the world is these days, financial factors are something you have to live with or you will go out of business pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.