panel bus tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR600

I have a 600 amp panel the engineer has asked us to tap the bus. Feeding this panel are 2 sets of 350 Kcmil. the lugs that are there now are (2) 350 single anchor hole lugs. All the lugs that are available that fit (3) 350 kcmil have 2 anchor hole lugs. Wouldnt this be an illegal installation to only use one hole. The existing bus is only drilled out with one hole.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The EE needs to touch base with the equipment manufactures engineering dept. We have done similar installs in the past with the manufactures blessing. E-mail is the preferred method, paper trail is always nice.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Wouldnt you say drilling and tapping with no consent would not be a good idea though

Yes, I would not do that. In the past I have had to do the leg work on this and submit the OK to the EE, I do not feel this is the EC's responsibility.

GSXR600

here is an other question...

Is there a code that state anything about the ark shields that separate these lugs because even if we drilled the bus it would put my lugs below the mactory ark shields?

chris kennedy

Occupation
code that state anything about the ark shields

I believe those are called terminal shields. They are not intended to divert an arc flash. Again another question for the manfactures engineering dept.

As far as the NEC, check out Table 408.5 and Table 408.56. You may find something of interest there.

Status
Not open for further replies.