Panel in attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I was on a job today where there was a panelboard in an attic. You could stand up in the attic. Are there any codes that would have prevented this panel from being installed in an attic? TY

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
230.70(A)(1) Says it all. Not being ugly, but most places like the service on the outside. If there is something serious. like a fire, It's seconds ticking away before the fireman can cut off the lock and de-energize. If it's someplace inside, and can't be disconnected, how fast will that fireman want to add water to the blaze?

mdshunk

Rockyd said:
...but most places like the service on the outside.
Perhaps you havn't been around much? In my area, you'll find maybe one panel per every 10,000 mounted outdoors. I think that the southwest is the one geographical exception. Most of the country has their panels mounted indoors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
mdshunk said:
Perhaps you havn't been around much? In my area, you'll find maybe one panel per every 10,000 mounted outdoors. I think that the southwest is the one geographical exception. Most of the country has their panels mounted indoors.

Around here I'd say the 1 in 10,000 is fairly accurate too. Almost no one installs panels on the outside.

Jim W in Tampa

We even have CT's with panel in middle of building and served from underground transformers.Got to admit its scarry if there is a fire.Even if fireman manages to find it and turn it off there is still danger till poco arrives.

Rockyd

Occupation
Last time I did any electrical work on the East Coast was in 1982. I have over 40 years in Alaska, and 99% of the services are on the outside of the building. Most of the services in this area are on the outside too.

racerdave3

If I read the original post correctly, was he refering to a sub-panel? It would seem highly unusual to see a main panel stuffed up in the attic. I am working on a job now that actually has a sub-panel in the attic. With the heat issue aside, in an older home it is actually a good idea if you have a lot of circuits to run on the second floor as it provides closer access rather than snaking all of the homeruns back down to the main panel. I don't know if I would personally install one up there but as long as it is readily accessible, I don't see a problem with it.

hillbilly

The local volunteer fire dept. around here carries wire cutters and can cut the power to 99 percent of the houses in about 30 seconds.
I know that it's probably not like that everywhere, but it's part of their training. There's very little industry in my local area, so they're mostly contending with overhead 240V residential service.
Most of the Mains are inside here too.
steve

cpal

GG said:
I was on a job today where there was a panelboard in an attic. You could stand up in the attic. Are there any codes that would have prevented this panel from being installed in an attic? TY

what is the ambient temp rating of the overcurrent devices???
How hot does the attic get???

stickboy1375

I wired a 4500 sq ft house, and it had stairs up to the attic, along with a ton of equipment, so we installed a sub-panel in the attic, worked perfect for all the 2nd floor feeders, and this is new england so the summer temps can get some what hot, but NEVER had a call back for a tripped breaker... this was over 5 years ago and we still do work at the house... not a single problem....

GG

This would be a sub panel. The HO has a 80 amp circuit that he is no longer going to use. He wants to add several 120V loads and it would save money on copper by using this 80 amp circuit to hit a sub panel in the attic. Abient of the attic is 130-140. I dont know what max temp that breakers can be installed in. Would this much heat be an issue?

stickboy1375

As far as code goes I'm not sure, I've only done this once, and like I said I've never had a problem... and I've come across sub-panels in attics before... with no problems either... I would go for it...

hillbilly

GG said:
This would be a sub panel. The HO has a 80 amp circuit that he is no longer going to use. He wants to add several 120V loads and it would save money on copper by using this 80 amp circuit to hit a sub panel in the attic. Abient of the attic is 130-140. I dont know what max temp that breakers can be installed in. Would this much heat be an issue?

I'm assuming that this is a 4 wire feeder?
steve

Rockyd

Occupation
If it's a sub panel, as long as it meets the requirements of 110.26, it can be basically anywhere "reasonable"(temp, enviroment, etc). Am also assuming it to be a 4 wire panel.

RB1

Wow, that 140 degree ambient seems high. Circuit breakers are calibrated based on 40 degree celcius ambient (104F). The trip point of the breaker will decrease as the ambient temperature increases. I have encountered this problem with circuit breakers installed outdoors, on the south or west side of a house, and supplying air-conditioning equipment. I have never seen this cause trouble where the circuit breakers are installd in an attic.

Speaking of ambient compensation, I wonder what the actual thermal trip-point of a circuit breaker installed outdoors in Alaska?

Status
Not open for further replies.