panel in bathroom over sink

Status
Not open for further replies.
afternoon all, working on a estimate for a huge kitchin din room and fam room remodel went to look at the house friday with gc and let me tell you this is going to be fun..... one main issue is the original service is still on the house probably 25 - 30 years old 200a 120/240 standard back to back on what use to be tree car garage wall. roughly 15 years ago they turned 3 car garage into another family room so the panel is now in living space however they built a bathroom were the panel is and now it has the bath sink in front of it with a mirror hanging in front of it. lovely. my first thought to move the panel is strip it of the feeders and guts leaving the home runs setting a new panel else were and bringing new home runs to what would now be just a junction box in the bathroom behind a mirror. second story is above all this area but there is a workable crawl, any ideas or concerns?

kwired

Electron manager
Is replacing/upgrading the panel part of the scope of the work to be done?

Is there an ahj that will require something to be done with it?

If neither of the above it is between you and owner if anything is to be done about this, otherwise some lowballer will get the job because they intend to do nothing about it.

response

response

i need to add about 10-12 circuts and this panel is a full 32 spot no it was not included in the scope but i dont want to do a panel swap and put it back in the same spot and no we do not have inspections here in this town. there is no real scope of work the engineers dont have any mechanicals at all just a rough floor plan to go off of and give a non concrete dollar amount. i dont want my reputation associated with the work thats been done in the past.

kwired

Electron manager
If adding 12 circuits to a panel that is full you can either bring a sub panel off the existing in a better location or change it to larger panel. It is still between you and owner but you may want to give them your opinion of what is best and why. To them that thing is just hidden behind the mirror and appears to be a good place to hide it. If relocating it an option could be to leave the existing cabinet to be used for splicing and locate a new panel someplace else, maybe outside where the meter is.

Status
Not open for further replies.