Panel Labeling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
I use Avery 5418 labels and print them using a free template I got from avery.com for use with Microsoft word. These are white 1/2" x 3/4" multi-use peel & stick labels you can pick up at most office supply stores. If you use a small font size you can get up to three lines of text on a single label.

DSC07101.jpg

Besoeker

Probably because of the field we work in we can't use anything less than screwed on engraved labels made of a meterial that will last 20 years.

I've never seen an application where specifications would allow paper labeling on panel. All have been micarta or similar plastic attached with screws, epoxy or rivets. Now for panel directories however it is fairly simple process to build template in Excel sized to fit standard directory pouch in SQD or GE panel - I'd insert a sample but don't see Excel file type extention listed in the attachments.

gary

Occupation
short circuit faulted said:
I've never seen an application where specifications would allow paper labeling on panel. All have been micarta or similar plastic attached with screws, epoxy or rivets. Now for panel directories however it is fairly simple process to build template in Excel sized to fit standard directory pouch in SQD or GE panel - I'd insert a sample but don't see Excel file type extention listed in the attachments.

You must not do any residential work. Typically there are no panel specs at all. The AHJ in our area will not accept the directory approach to breaker identification. They want some sort of label next to each of the breakers. It's OK to mark the breaker Id's right on the dead front using a Sharpie, but there's only so much you can do by hand on a cramped and often contoured surface. Many resi panels come with a few generic peel & stick breaker labels but few were of any use to me. This method allows you to print your own more useful generic labels or, if the job warrants it, one of a kind labels for a large custom home.

Keri_WW

Slightly off-topic, but I was looking at your labels and only noticed one circuit for kitchen receptacles (unless there was another above that was cut off). 210.52 says you need a minimum of 2 circuits, so how did that pass inspection?

gary

Occupation
Mr

Mr

Keri_WW said:
Slightly off-topic, but I was looking at your labels and only noticed one circuit for kitchen receptacles (unless there was another above that was cut off). 210.52 says you need a minimum of 2 circuits, so how did that pass inspection?

DSC07100.jpg

Gary,
You are correct, have run residential, commericlal and industrial service work have seen some horror stories where "Daddy done some wiring" - but never wired houses from scratch - so my bid market is has been commerical buildings educational (schools).

However I suggest a fairly inexpensive Brother P-touch labeler - you can set font size, type set it for two lines of type and if applied to clean surface the labels adhere fairly well, we use them for data/telecom to identify the patch panel and jacks. Label refills are not cheap anywhere from 15 - 22 dollars but a cartridge lasts longer than the batteries in the unit normally.

Karl H

We use the Brother P-Touch PT-1280's to label everything from recepts to
discos. At trim every device is labeled with it's panel and ckt number.
All panel schedules are done in Excel.

gary

Occupation
Karl H said:
We use the Brother P-Touch PT-1280's to label everything from recepts to
discos. At trim every device is labeled with it's panel and ckt number.
All panel schedules are done in Excel.

I tried using a Brother P-Touch PT-310.
Pros:
Print labels on-site with an inexpensive, battery powered hand held device.
Labels are printed on an attractive, smooth, glossy, durable, plastic material.

Cons:
PITA to peel the backing off the tape.
Didn't seem like the adhesive was strong enough for permanent labels.
Difficult to lay out text on multi-line labels.

But worst of all, I found it impossible to print a series of labels that were all the same length. If you need to label 35 breakers in a large sub-panel, it just looks a lot better if all the labels are the same physical size. The Avery template lets you choose any Windows font, in any size, in any color, and every label is the same size. The free MS Word template is very easy to use and automatically centers each line of text on each label. You can save your label layout and edit it as needed for your next job. The Avery 5418 product is a package of 1000 1/2" x 3/4" peel & stick labels. There are 36 labels on each 4" x 6" sheet. There are other companies that make similar products in a variety of sizes and templates are freely available for all of them.

iwire

Staff member
Gary a lot depends on which P-Touch model you buy.

They do have models that you can set the label length on, multiple lines without trouble etc. I used to have a portable unit that could also USB to a PC allowing you to add simple graphics and nice layout work.

They also sell different types of labels with different glues etc.

gary

Occupation
iwire said:
Gary a lot depends on which P-Touch model you buy.

They do have models that you can set the label length on, multiple lines without trouble etc. I used to have a portable unit that could also USB to a PC allowing you to add simple graphics and nice layout work.

They also sell different types of labels with different glues etc.

Thanks, I'll have to do a little more research!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
djcrzysounds@yahoo.com said:
Does anyone know of a template for Microsoft Office or Word Perfect for labeling panels?

office supports most avery formats directly, i believe.
i've also used avery label pro, and that's a free program
directly from avery.

it's not really on point with your question, but the brady labelmark
software v.3.2 works with the brady idexpert labelers, and
allows you to do some pretty slick stuff, including pull labels
directly from autocad layers. the quality of the labels is excellent,
as well.

dymo came out with a labeler that is supposed to be better than
idxpert, but the label quality doesn't seem as good, to be honest,
and as i have 2 of the brady labelers, and software, and 75 label
cartridges bought off ebay, i'm not in the market for change. the
idxpert labeler is pretty good however, as it automatically does
scaling of font to get those extra letters in the label.

randy

Status
Not open for further replies.