Panel located near geothermal lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

evandriel

Was hoping someone could help me out here. I'm installing a 320 service in a new construction residential property and the GC built a mechanical closet for the home owner for all their 'eye sore' equipment. The issue I'm having is being told my panels can not be located near the two geothermal lines running outside (water cooling lines?). I can't get in contact with the inspector (hasn't returned my call yet) so I'm asking for opinions here on why this would be an issue and is there a code that states I can not locate my panels near a water line. How can this be any different than a water line running directly above my panels?

mc5w

Re: Panel located near geothermal lines

The rule prohibiting water lines underneath a panelboard is either wise or utterly cretinous depneding on the situation. If there is no pipe joint underneath the panel and there is not a way to use more than say 3 bottom knockouts such as in a basement then this part of the rule is utterly cretinous. Same goes for a relocated panel in a slab on grade building and it is wholly rediculous to run new conduits underneath the slab.

I know someone who has a slab on grade commercial building where there are zero conduits going directly from a panel to underneath the slab. The only circuits underneath the slab are for the well pump and a post light. A replacement panel is over a 1" copper water pipe and both elbows at the room corners are 2 feet away. In order to move the pipe the pipe would actually have to go across the ceiling which would increase the hazard from leaks or condensation. This room is not air conditioned during the summer which means that a pipe across the ceiling will drop condensation all over stuff. This panel is in the same room as the pressure tank and switch for the well and the boiler for the forced hot water heat. Only 1 bottom knockout is used which is 1/2 EMT to supply the pressure switch for the well pump.

If a pipe decides to split or otherwise fail water will be all over the place. An inspector tried to say that this small room had to have a sprinkler head in the ceiling but the vice chief inspector dropped the issue while his boss was on vacation. A year later this snotty chief inspector retired. Turns out that there was no requirement in Ohio Building Code for a sprinkler head in this type of building because the walls were concrete block.

[ May 19, 2005, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: mc5w ]

bphgravity

Re: Panel located near geothermal lines

The only clearance issues you need to be concerned with is the dedicated equipment space requirements in section 110.26(F). Otherwise you are dealing with a local code or some other mechanical code I am not aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.