Panel-mount voltage meter suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockking

Occupation
engineer
I am looking for a product suggestion for a panel mounted voltage meter. We have an existing voltage transformer connected to the 115 kV input to our substation, which outputs 0-120V. I'm looking for meter to read this 0-120V signal and display the roughly 115kV value seen by the voltage transformer. Technically, the voltage transformer is only on one phase of the 115 kV, so this will be a single phase reading. The goal is just make a an easy display for our technicians to see if voltage is present, so easy to read display would be ideal. Lastly, the face needs to be less than ~6 inches tall to fit in the existing panel. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

gar

Occupation
EE
220923-2058 EDT

shockking:

First, decide on the type of meter movement you want. Broadly this will fall into two categories ( however there are other types ) --- electrodynamometer ( page 418 thru 423 ), and DC meter with rectifier ( page 429 thru 432 ). These page numbers are from "Basic Electrical Measurements", Melville B. Stout, Prentice-Hall, Copyright 1950, Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan.

A rectifier type has a roughly linear scale from 0 to Full Scale. An electrodynamometer type has an expand scale at its full scale end ( basically is a square law type scale ).

In the Detroit area we have an instrument company that can take any basic meter movement type, make it whatever range you want, and provide any special scale. You should be able to find one or more similar companies in your area.

Todd0x1

Look for an ANSI switchboard meter. Crompton, Weschler, Ram, and others make them.

Rammeter MCS103021PZYR is 0-150vac input range with 150kv scale. That's pretty close to what youre asking for. Its only $225.

gar

Occupation
EE
220924-1119 EDT

shocking:

Some more information on electrodynamometer meters.

I have a Simpson 880 from many years ago, and it is of this type. On its 150 V full scale range it reads 90 to 150 V over about 64 % of its deflection range. This means much easier readability than a linear scale that would only use 60/150 = 40 % of its range.

If the nominal voltage you want to read is 150 kV, then I might think you would want a meter that read about 175 kV full scale. So you would order a meter scaled to 175 kV at full scale, this is simply the selection of a series resistor for the meter to get that reading, and have a special meter scale made.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am looking for a product suggestion for a panel mounted voltage meter. We have an existing voltage transformer connected to the 115 kV input to our substation, which outputs 0-120V. I'm looking for meter to read this 0-120V signal and display the roughly 115kV value seen by the voltage transformer. Technically, the voltage transformer is only on one phase of the 115 kV, so this will be a single phase reading. The goal is just make a an easy display for our technicians to see if voltage is present, so easy to read display would be ideal. Lastly, the face needs to be less than ~6 inches tall to fit in the existing panel. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
There are a bunch of digital meters you can get that you can scale to whatever you want. Red Lion and others make them. Just depends on what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.