Panel Schedule load identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmejia

Good morning,

Does anybody know if the load identification in a panel schedule must be in VA? Is it a standard or a recommended practice? I have seen it in Amps a few times but most of the times in VA. I would really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Daniel.

480sparky

VA on the panel schedule is not an NEC requirement. Only the load itself needs to be identified. 408.4

Typically, commercial and industrial jobs will require load balancing by the POCO, so the load information is listed on the panel schedules in the prints. They are just the numbers used by the EE to balance things out and get carried over into the E sheets.

If there is a requirement for the va or amps to be on the panel schedule, then it's a local requirement, or a job specification.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
emoticons_spot_party.gif

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We have one client who insists that their own engineers and every consultant use only their own version of a panel schedule software package. It displays load in terms of amps. It is a bit confusing, when it comes time to add things up to determine if the panel is overloaded, or if a particular phase is loaded more heavily then the other two. Adding single phase currents to three phase currents is not a matter of simple arithmetic. By contrast, adding things up in terms of VA is a simple matter, and is therefore considered the better choice. But it is not, as 480 has already said, a code requirement.

dmejia

Thank you very much guys... I suspected that was the case because in the NEC everything is listed in VA but never specifies that it is a requirement. Again, Thanks.

Daniel

P.S. Thanks for the warm welcome... hehe:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.