Panel Schedule Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmccleery

We are looking for GOOD reliable program to do panelboard schedules. If anyone out there is presently using one that has lived up to their expectations, could you please share the name and where I might purchase.
Please e-mail me john@hhart.com
Thanks, John

sc57ford

Re: Panel Schedule Program

Over the years, I have been working on panel schedule using Microsoft Excel. I can look up wire and breaker sizes. Just a little experience with Excel and you're done. And then set up your print areas, and print.
I have used the setup to roll up to substation level.
Since I now am part of the Reduction in Force, I am available for consulting.

spsnyder

We started using excel as well. So far so good. ACAD has come a long way since R12 to allow us to print and link. Beats having to recalculate panels when a change is made. No more math errors either.

Scott

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Here is a couple of suggestions:
1.I use a Square D stick on panel directory holder, part number 80031-159-01. The panel schedule is done in excel and slips into the holder (I use the Sq D as it is readily available)
2. Make two copies of the panel directory, when you make a change, mark both up and take one with you. Replace the marked up one the next time you are on site.
3. I use the black sq d circuit breaker numbers, 80043-295-01, I put them on the circuit breaker, so you can see the breaker number with the trim off. Leave the extra numbers in the panel, you can slip it in the panel directory holder.

bwyllie

not sure if you are looking to do panelschedules for a drawing on CAD but Spanner is a great program that will work with Excel.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Tom:

Thats good advice. It would eliminate most of my panel scheduling pet peeves listed below:

1. No schedule at all.

2. Schedule, but items crossed out and added in pencil somewhere off to the side.

3. Breakers not numbered or numbered with pencil on the paint. (The schedule tells me what breaker 5 is for, but which breaker is #5?)

4. Some breakers numbered, but starting in the middle of the panel and working down. (OK, but are the rest of the breakers numbered from the top down or from the middle up?)

5. Numbers on the breakers, but the breakers have been replaced or moved, and numbers are missing, or in wrong order. Or breakers were added without adding numbers.

6. Missing numbers: the electrician accidently skipped a couple numbers when labeling breakers, but the schedule doesn't skip numbers. (Then no one knows if #28 on the schedule is actually 28 or if its 30.)

Steve

spsnyder

If anyone wants the excel spreadsheets we made email me at spsnyder@yahoo.com and I'll forward them. We bring them in to ACAD, so they look a little different than a regular excel sheet.

sc57ford

Just use the sum of the Phase (A,B, or C)minus 10000 divided by 3, then add all phases together. Be careful to not use this on lighting panelboards in industrial and commercial projects, as lighting is mostly 100 percent.

sc57ford

One more calculation, after adding all phases, multiply by 0.5 to get non-continuous demand load to be added to your upstream distribution board, switchboard or what ever. remember, this calculation is for Non-Dwelling applications.

spsnyder

The spreadsheets calculate connected load. We calculate continuous and non-continuous load contributions manually.

jpmccleery

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject. It seems that the Excel spreadsheet format is the most commonally used approach for this application. We are presently using a program from Todd Carry & Associates called "PANELS". It is not an Excel spreadsheet and does produce a nice product. It was expensive but it has some glitches which is why I was looking to see if there were any other programs that would do the load calculations and size the breaker and select the conductors according to code, which this program does. Once again, thank you all for your input.
John McCleery

sceepe

I, like many of you, was using excel to design the panels. However, I needed something more than just printed schedules. I needed to build a distribution system for comercial buildings. The problem with using excel is that you have to keep up with an excel spreadsheet (that has all your calculations and subfeed panels) and a separate acad drawing. When things change, you have got to change it in two places. I found a program that works in acad and lets you build the distribution system. It has all the demand factors that you could want and it is very configurable. It costs about $200.00 US see this site if you are interested:
http://home.insightbb.com/~autopanelboard.

My only problem with this program is that it doesn't take into consideration breaker frame sizes and other restrictions to panel design that are imposed by square d and the like. Also, it puts way too much info on the drawings. I personally prefer not to have all the demand factors and load estimates printed on the contruction documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.