Panel Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfenn

Just wondering how other engineers do there panel schedules. When you have a 3p-?? breaker. Do you circuit it like..

A)Panel "P1-1/3/5"
B)Panel "P1-1" and you show it on the panel schedule as a 3 pole breaker.

Are there other options?

Thanks,
Kfenn

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Panel Schedule

The panel shedule would be numbered with odd and even numbers, for a 3 pole breaker in spaces 1-3-5 the panel shc would show the same description. The size can be shown in a seperate column.

peter d

I usually think "Lights and plugs" is sufficient. Also, a few words spelled wrong is good too, like "firnace."

jimwalker

Would rather see lights or receptacles than have a mis labeled panel saying perhaps recepts office 307 and find out it was wrong :mad:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

When I draw circuits on the plan view, I do list all the poles like P1,3,5. Unless it is a switchboard type panel where the spaces wouldn't be numbered.

I also draw 3 arrowheads on the home run. That way it is obvious it is a 3 pole circuit.

Steve

lile001

Originally posted by steve66:
When I draw circuits on the plan view, I do list all the poles like P1,3,5. Unless it is a switchboard type panel where the spaces wouldn't be numbered.

I also draw 3 arrowheads on the home run. That way it is obvious it is a 3 pole circuit.

Steve
We quit drawing multiple arrowheads a while back. We used to have situations where several circuits were combined in one home run, such as large area open office lighting, and we would draw a half dozen arrowheads to indicate so many circuits. Now we just draw one arrowhead, label which circuits are involved ("LPC-3,5,7") and draw hash marks to indicate number of wires in the home run.

We quit drawing hash marks at every loop of wire between fitures too. I think this just caused a lot of extra work and didn't add any useful info for the electrician.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

On the Panel Schedule itself, I show the name of the load in space #1, and use ditto marks in spaces 3 and 5. If I have to refer to the source of power to a load, I describe it as ?Panel # XYZ, circuit #1, 3, 5.?

I do not use multiple arrowheads or hash marks anywhere on the power plans (not on the home runs, and not on the connections between loads).

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I do not use multiple arrowheads or hash marks anywhere on the power plans (not on the home runs, and not on the connections between loads).
For lighting circuits, I run into a lot of 3 way and 4 way switching, double switching, and often an extra wire is required for turning on emergency fixtures if the power goes off.

But it sounds like I am wasting my time! Do you guys have any problems with the contractors not wiring things up right or not knowing how to bid a project since you don't show hash marks on the wiring runs??

Steve

rr

Originally posted by steve66:
For lighting circuits, I run into a lot of 3 way and 4 way switching, double switching, and often an extra wire is required for turning on emergency fixtures if the power goes off.

But it sounds like I am wasting my time! Do you guys have any problems with the contractors not wiring things up right or not knowing how to bid a project since you don't show hash marks on the wiring runs??

Steve
I show hash marks on power and lighting. On my Fire Alarm and Signal drawings, I have a wiring schedule with a designation. For example, on Fire Alarm drawings, a conduit that connects two horn/strobe devices might be "F2" which would be "(2)#12's in 3/4"C.".

It also helps reduce possible RFI's or change orders that might result from a contractor's mentality of "it wasn't shown on the drawing, so I didn't install it". :D

[ March 04, 2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: rr ]

marketman

I find hash marks to be essential. Particularly when indicating something like 3/4"c, 3#12 & #12 gnd isnt clear enough. 3#12 could be 2 hots, 1 neutral and a gnd, or it could be 3 hots and a ground. The hash marks clarify this with either 2 short and one long dash or 3 short dashes respectively. This ensures proper color coding is pulled in. When contractors are required to provide MC cable assemblies they need this info for correct purchasing.
I also add a dashed long to indicate the ground, or 2 dashed longs indicating ground and isolated ground.

PP-1/3/5 would indicate a 3 phase circuit having a hash mark containing 3 shorts and 1 long if the neutral is required.

PP-1,3,5 would indicate 3 single phase circuits when applied with a hash mark containg 3 shorts and one long, with dashed long for the ground, characteristic of a shared neutral. In this instance if 3 separate circuits were required, 3 sets of 1 short with 1 long dash would be indicated.

[ March 04, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: marketman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.