Panel setup

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

jjwitty

Occupation
Automation
Panel image

I have a question for guys that do panel builds. I’m exploring different ways to go about setting this panel up that controls 18 motors. I’m using combo motor starters, using feeder blocks and bus bars, all in attempt to have less wires and parts.

Do you believe duct is needed between line out to motor and terminal block ? Looking at it, it seems unnecessary.

Now I have from the bottom up:
1. Duct
2. Terminal block
3. Motor starters
4. Duct
5. Starters
6. Duct
7. Power distribution.

I also am having some extra space after using these starters, so I am thinking how I could set out up for more controls later.

I am also thinking of having a bank of 10 terminal blocks for L1, 10 for L2, 10 for L3, and 10 for ground. You see in the bottom I have all the jumpers installed. I’ve never saw this done before, I’m wondering if this would be a bad idea as far as safety. I realize the terminal jumpers are meant for 30 amps max, so I am going to need to reduce the amount. Other than that, can’t see any reason not to wire the motors this way.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would not use terminals downstream of the contactor. Let them wire direct to the contactor. Saves space, and eliminates a crap load of connections that can fail. Plus the terminals have sccr problems, as in they are typically not going to match the rest of the circuit. With the type F starters they are usually 65kA but the terminals kick the circuit back to 5 or 10 kA.

I see no purpose in the ten terminals of each phase.

I typically use multiport lugs for ground connections and just bolt them to the panel. The green terminals expensive.

Screenshot_20241019-004742.png

Last edited: