Panelboard busbar construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a panel board that is not UL listed. The bus bars are running down the middle of the enclosure and snap rails on each side to connect breakers to. The connection from the line side of the breaker to the bus bar is made by way of a stranded wire jumper or tap conductor, if you will, about three to four inches long. Each tap to the bus bar is made my terminal on the wire and under a nut and stud or bolt on the bus bar. Each phase crosses from one side to the other with individual taps and both are terminated under one bolt and nut. Where the bolts protrude from the bus bar they have screwed "wire nuts" on as bolt caps. I do not believe this bus bar construction to be in line with NEC, but cannot reference to prove my point. I believe the tap rule is violated. The construction of the bus bar to be wrong and the multiple terminations under one nut and bolt to be wrong as well. Could somebody give me reference on this. Thank you!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the zoo! :smile:

Is this an existing panel, or one you're considering installing?

panelboard busbar construction

panelboard busbar construction

This is one of many panelboards to be installed on site. I am under the impression that these "stranded" wires are to be considered "tap" conductors and not actually part of the busbar. Also these are bottom fed panelboards and the conductors will come up directly from a bottom opening. The distance from the bottom of the breaker terminals to the cabinet base is only about 4" to 5 ". The conductors will come directly in through the bottom of the cabinet, so there will not be a wire bending radius issue. However, I beleive there is a clearance issue involved. These panelboards are "not" UL listed and were simply custom made by someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.