Panelboard in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector 102

Article 230.70(2) states that service diconnecting means shall not be located in bathrooms. If a sub-panel, listed for damp location is installed in a bathroom, is this a violation and what section would be applicable. This particular install has a bank of disconnects outside the structure (grouped together) then sub-feed to each tenant space. A tenant wishes to install a restroom which will place the sub-panel inside the restroom area. Any advise would be appreciated on application.

wirenut1980

Re: Panelboard in Bathroom

IMO, it needs to comply with Section 408.6 which leads you to 312.2(A), and also needs to have the working clearances of 110.26. Other than that, I don't see anything that prohibits it. I am looking at 2002 NEC.

travisw

The state inspector does not allow any panels in dwelling unit bathrooms and this is the code section he uses.

240.24(E) Not Located in Bathrooms. In dwelling units and guest rooms or guest suites of hotels and motels, overcurrent devices, other than supplementary overcurrent protection, shall not be located in bathrooms

physis

See. It shouldn't be that hard to find something like this.

You can have a panelboard in the bathroom. Just not the OCPD's. That's stupid. :)

Edit: Needed a smiley face.

[ July 13, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

unless I'm missing somethig:

I think this is such a rediculous oversight that I already have a proposal proposal (that's redundant on purpose :D ) in the proposals forum.

408 Panelboard Locations Not Allowed

Edit: I had to repair the link.

[ July 13, 2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

Status
Not open for further replies.