Panelboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprior

I had a question concerning a panelboard at my condominium. I am attempting to sell my unit and on my inspection notice the inspector said:
"On breaker panel, service to home cannot be shut off in six moves or less as required by code. Please repair."

My condo was built in 1975 in Aurora, Colorado. Was this required in the code in 1975? If not, can I get a source to supply to the inspector? I would believe that this was in code at the time, so it would be fine now.

My panelboard is a GE Load Center, catalog number TLM1612RH mod. 2. I also found D873 and P-150 mentioned above the catalog number. It is located on the exterior of the building. The panelboard is set up with 18 disconnect switches on it, in the following arrangement, with the 2 30's and the 2 50's being connected.
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20

If you need pictures I can suppy those as well. If you need any more information I can attempt to gather that as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

peter d

Re: Panelboard question

There may be a main disconnect somewhere that the inspector missed. The next place to look is the electric meters. In a condominium complex, they are typically located on an end unit, but not always. The meters are usually grouped in a large bank, and the main disconnects for each unit are typically located there as well.

I hope this helps.

[ July 10, 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Sean,

It's hard for this Forum to offer any meaningful comments on your situation.

The inspection report is probably a part of the documentation that will be part of the transfer of title of your dwelling.

I submit that the most meaningful use of your time will come in talking with one or more reputable licensed electrical contractors in your local area. Depending on local history, and the actual configuration of your electrical system, the contractor will be able to provide the appropriate documents and/or repair/alteration that will satisfy the mortgage underwriters, who, really, are the individuals that all this is targeted at.

sprior

Thanks, shows that I forgot to post something. The panelboard is right next to the meter. Out of a 4 units, mine is the only with the large panelboard, the other 3 just have main shutoffs on the exterior.

charlie

After a home inspector reports on a problem of this magnitude, you need to get an electrical contractor to take a look at your installation. If it was done incorrectly and must be changed, get at least three bids on the work. Also keep in mind, the least expensive bid is not necessarily the best bid. If it was done correctly, have the electrical contractor writs a letter to dispute the findings of the home inspector and tell him to furnish National Electrical Code references. :D

stud696981

Is this a "home inspector" or a "city building inspectors" report?

If this is a home inspectors report then I would explain that this is how the unit was built and it passed inspection then. Let the new occupant change this if they desire, it's an NEC issue but not something that is a MAJOR hazzard.

If the building inspector wrote it up, then you need to call someone and have this corrected. One thing I would consider would be to have an EC place a disconnect next to the meter and pull a new four wire cable from there to the panel. Might be a little cheeper then an entire change over.

redfish

One thing you could do is replace the existing panel using a new outdoor panel with a main disconnect. Just add a little extra to the selling price. :)

charlie

Was this required in the code in 1975?

Does someone have a 1975 Code book to answer this question? I may have one at work but not here. :D

jwelectric

Originally posted by charlie:
Was this required in the code in 1975?

Does someone have a 1975 Code book to answer this question? I may have one at work but not here. :)

Edited to change the dot to a dash :eek:

[ July 12, 2005, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Sight unseen, the GE catalog number given is for a convertible main / main lug panel in the 1999 GE Buylog. The suffix "H" is no longer listed as a numbering option. . .so, maybe that meant split bus. Anyone know for sure?

It will be more likely, IMO, that one or the other of the following is in place: </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 50 A two pole breaker is the service disconnect and is being backfed.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The panel was installed incorrectly and has what might be (assuming 3 double poles) 15 service disconnects.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Status
Not open for further replies.