Panelboard space/spare

Status
Not open for further replies.
In design I typically leave 10% spare capacity and 10% space for future circuits in my panelboards.

I'm being questioned by an owner why I added a panel when there was space available in the other panels. My answer is that I would like to allow for expansion.

I would like to back this up with a code reference, so does anyone know where in the NEC it would call for spare capacity in panelboards???

Thanks!

Mr. Bill

I don't think there is a Code reference. It's just good design practice to have spare capacity in the design. Additional misc loads are added all the time and I'm sure the owner would get really upset having to add a 100A panel to feed a small circ pump or some other load that is added because all of his exist panels are maxed out.

Sparky5150 said:
I'm being questioned by an owner why I added a panel when there was space available in the other panels. My answer is that I would like to allow for expansion.
Is there anything in the panel you added? I wouldn't add an empty panel just in the name of future expansion. I'd ensure I had space available (in an MDP) for a larger frame breaker to feed a new branch panelboard in the future.

In 2 panels I have 13 spaces, in the 3rd panel I have 11 active circuits.

If I combine the 11 circuits into the 2 panels that will leave only 1 spare breaker in each of the 2 panels, which is something that I wouldnt want to do.

It is the owners money, if he wants to save the money for a 100 amp panel and only have 2 spares that is his right, I just want to make sure I dont violate code first.

Thanks!

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Spare breakers and spare space are design issues, and should be addressed in the beginning of the project as part of the scoping document/basis of design. If the client does not want spare/spaces, then, oh well.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
The only NEC that alludes to your design is 90.8 Wiring Planning

ed downey

In this case I would specify the panel with Feed Thru Lugs so that the owner could add a Panel at a later date without any issues.
-Ed

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
90.8 does not require any action..it is just a statement. 90.1(B) really sums up the code requirements for expansion.
(B) Adequacy This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.
Don

Joe R

kingpb said:
. If the client does not want spare/spaces, then, oh well.
I would agree with this, besides Sparky 5150 u may not be the electrician comming out to wire the "future expansion " or there may never be an expansion. sometimes its, we see the way the "electrician" sees things, but the owners/ customers only see $$$$ out of thier pockets. They will learn someday.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Don,

I realize it is only a statement, but it is the only place I know of in the codebook that will offer anything up all. It's just a little sizzle in the sale, ultimately, we have to give the customer what they want, as long as it is legal. 5150 probably saves himself a lot of grief, and the customer dollars, in the future, if he can upsell a margin of future expansion with his regulars. If they don't want it, it'll cost next time around.

Rockyd said:
Don,

I realize it is only a statement, but it is the only place I know of in the codebook that will offer anything up all. It's just a little sizzle in the sale, ultimately, we have to give the customer what they want, as long as it is legal. 5150 probably saves himself a lot of grief, and the customer dollars, in the future, if he can upsell a margin of future expansion with his regulars. If they don't want it, it'll cost next time around.
That's how you sell the value of what you provide as an EC. Thinking about the future and their wallet at the same time will show most discerning owners that your head is on straight and have your phone ringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.