Panelboard Voltage Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Other than the circuit identification required by 210.5(C) and manufacturing data (408.58) is there any Code requirement to mark panelboards with their operating voltage, especially when there are two different voltage systems in a premises ?
I often see predominantly displayed "Brady" markers for 480 and 240 panelboards, but can't find such a requirement.

cpal

Other than the circuit identification required by 210.5(C) and manufacturing data (408.58) is there any Code requirement to mark panelboards with their operating voltage, especially when there are two different voltage systems in a premises ?
I often see predominantly displayed "Brady" markers for 480 and 240 panelboards, but can't find such a requirement.

are you inquiring about field marking or manufactures marking??

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Field Marking.
Many jobs where there are two different voltages they often have large tags (usually Brady markers) noting system voltages.
Seems like a great idea and it's fairly prevalent. Just wondered if it's NEC or OSHA requirement.

SEO

408.58 requires the manufacturer to mark the voltage on the panelboard. I think that it may be a design requirement to install your own voltage marking. Some designers require raceways to be identified with voltage marking as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.