Panelboard working space

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have panelboard 120/208V single phase in serving area of pizza restaurant. The panelboard has 3 feet clearance but serving area will have people walking in front of the working space and that space is going to be busy. Measuring from panelboard right at 3 feet ends their is the serving platform so whoever is serving would be standing in working space of panelboard and the panelboard would be behind the person. To the left of the panelboard but not in working space their is the dough machine.

I am not sure if above can satisfy working space clearance or does it need to be relocated?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would call it legal but inconvenient. The purpose of working space is to enable safe working. If nobody is working on the panel, the fact that people walk by it is irrelevant. But if there is a need for working on the panel, the worker would be well advised to cordon off access to the working space, to prevent anyone from walking by. Will that disrupt the flow of restaurant workers to and from the places they need to be? Possibly. Then have the electrical work done when the restaurant is closed.

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
When you are working on it you will have to barricade. Inconvenience and dangerous for service work but as long as they don’t put anything in front of panel it is code compliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.