Parallel Motion Sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I have a light, a single 95W incandescent, on a path. I'd like to have it come on when approached from either direction.

Has anyone ever put two motion sensors in parallel with each other? What were your results?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have a light, a single 95W incandescent, on a path. I'd like to have it come on when approached from either direction.

Has anyone ever put two motion sensors in parallel with each other? What were your results?

I just bought some from Lowe's that 'sees' in both directions. It has two sensors, one main and a smaller one on the back/bottom.

Seems to work well.

kwired

Electron manager
As long as the motion sensor output is a relay type output there shouldn't be any problem.

Done this with occupancy sensors in long corridors before - used multiple sensors in parallel so that no matter which sensor was calling for lights they would come on and all sensors would have to time out after detection before lights will shut off.

renosteinke

Cpinetree, thanks for the link. Ironically, that's exactly my situation: a carport.

I guess I'll try it. At $20 x 2, it's only money :D I'm just a bit skittish as some folks have counseled against it, claiming all manner of strange issues.

Barndog

We have done a bunch of them (100+) and have had little trouble with Paralleling them. We had to do it due to coverage area. We used a Hubbell motion sensor.

dicklaxt

If the distance requirement is not an issue,isn't there an Omni-Directional detector on the market?

dick

kwired

Electron manager
If the distance requirement is not an issue,isn't there an Omni-Directional detector on the market?

dick

That is what they place in the ceiling in center of rooms - it senses 360 degrees. If room is too big for it to sense all of room you may need more than one and you connect them in parallel.

dicklaxt

That is what they place in the ceiling in center of rooms - it senses 360 degrees. If room is too big for it to sense all of room you may need more than one and you connect them in parallel.

Yes I'm aware of this unit and its workings,,,,,I'm speaking of an outdoor Omni Unit that doesn't have a scan distance issue.

The OP wants to switch a light on, on a path from someone or something as they approach,using two detectors in parallel.I don't have a problem with that but see it as a not to secure of means prevention (if used for security),this is where an outdoor Omni Directional unit would fit that situation .

I'm sure they are available in this time and age of technology but are probably cost prohibitive for this application.

dick

renosteinke

An onmi-directional sensor would probably work fine. I have not seen them at the 'home centers.' I have used them in offices, where they are actually "occupancy sensors," and operated using different technology than your plain-jane motion sensor. I had not considered them because of the 10x or greater expense. Pardon the pun, but they were just 'off my radar.' :D

The application is an ordinary carport - meaning there are two distinct ways you can approach: either by coming up the drive, or by exiting the kitchen door (on the side, up front, in the carport). Since Harriet Homeowner wants the light to come on as she drived into the carport after work, and wants it to come on as she exits the kitchen on her way to work in the morning, there's a need to sense in both directions.

Security? This isn't Ft. Knox. It's all about convenience. We also don't need the light coming on for every passerby on the sidewalk, or every rabbit that crosses the back yard.

Run additional pipe, and locate the sensor where it will cover both approaches? That might be possible. I had not considered that- though that location has other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.