Parallel neutral current path on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelhead

Occupation
Industrial Maint/Journeyman
I was checking out the 200A MBP at my aunt's house the other day and noticed that it was wired using SER. The neutral buss and the EG buss are connected together and bonded to the panel with a MBJ screw. The EGC and the neutral conductor both run out to the meter. I measured current on both the EGC and the neutral conductor. There is a GEC going from the neutral/EG buss to a ground rod. Water piping is all PVC. Gas piping is bonded to the neutral/EG buss at the panel.

Any ideas why this was wired this way? Mistake?

I was checking out the 200A MBP at my aunt's house the other day and noticed that it was wired using SER. The neutral buss and the EG buss are connected together and bonded to the panel with a MBJ screw. The EGC and the neutral conductor both run out to the meter. I measured current on both the EGC and the neutral conductor. There is a GEC going from the neutral/EG buss to a ground rod. Water piping is all PVC. Gas piping is bonded to the neutral/EG buss at the panel.

Any ideas why this was wired this way? Mistake?

Somebody wanted to spend more money on wire than they had to?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is there a service disconnect ahead of your MBP or is it fed directly from then meter ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've seen it a time or three with the only explanation being "I had it on the van".
Before I'd take any action, I'd look at how it is terminated in the meter.
You likely have a violation of 300.3(B)(1) and possibly a termination violation in the meter.
I doubt I would loose any sleep over the situation.

Steelhead

Occupation
Industrial Maint/Journeyman
I've seen it a time or three with the only explanation being "I had it on the van".
Before I'd take any action, I'd look at how it is terminated in the meter.
You likely have a violation of 300.3(B)(1) and possibly a termination violation in the meter.
I doubt I would loose any sleep over the situation.

Yeah, I would like to take a look inside the meter to see how the connections were made at some point in time, but like you said there should be no loss of sleep. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.