Parallel path for neutral on GEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moab88

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have one riser with 600kcm aluminum coming down that’s going to parallel 4/0 aluminum to two meters (all one enclosure). Out of each side of the meter I’ll have service disconnects with feeders to 2 separate units of a building (each with their own panel) I’ve seen multiple people including my inspector say that I can tie my GEC from each disconnect together and then run a common GEC to a ground rod. Wouldn’t this create a parallel path for my neutral to flow since my N-G bond occurs in each disconnect? Also if this is okay and I’m incorrect how do I size my common GEC? I know it applies to note 1 of Table 250.66 NEC but I can’t understand which “pair” or ungrounded conductors I’m supposed to size it off of.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you have only a ground rod electrode then the largest size GEC would be #6. You can run a #6 GEC and tap off to each service disconnect with a #6 and split bolts. One the line side of the service disconnects there is often parallel paths for the neutral current.

moab88

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you have only a ground rod electrode then the largest size GEC would be #6. You can run a #6 GEC and tap off to each service disconnect with a #6 and split bolts. One the line side of the service disconnects there is often parallel paths for the neutral current.
My POCO requires 4 AWG for the GEC but if I were to split bolt both disconnects’ GEC and then come off of that with one conductor to my ground rod doesn’t that conductor have to be size differently? Both services are 200 A each. Utility is bringing me 400A capacity though . Also can you please explain how there are often parallel paths on the line side of the disconnect? Is this common for multi disconnect set ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.