Parallel Wire Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carultch

You use the same EGC size that you would use, as if it weren't paralleled. One EGC per raceway (or otherwise per wiring structure), full size as if it were the only EGC. The EGC's then get paralleled themselves at both ends. Unlike parallel conductors in general that require a minimum of 1/0 in order to parallel, it is OK to have any size EGC's in parallel. There will be circuits for which the EGC size ends up being just as large as the ungrounded conductors, if you have a circuit with a lot of sets in parallel.

Suspected such. If I decide to do a 4000 amp feeder in 4/0 sets, I can get away with a 4/0 EGC, correct?

250.122(A) indicates that EGCs never have to be larger than the circuit’s ungrounded conductors. So yes it is correct.

You probably won't find 4000A equipment that is built for 18 sets of 4/0 in parallel, so it is an unlikely example. A more likely example is 12 sets of 400 kcmil on a 4000A circuit, with the 400 kcmil EGC.

Reactions: ENI

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Suspected such. If I decide to do a 4000 amp feeder in 4/0 sets, I can get away with a 4/0 EGC, correct?
No...full sized in each raceway based on the 4000 amp OCPD. CMP 5 is on record saying that the size of the circuit conductors for a parallel system is the sum of all of the conductors connected in parallel and it is not the size of the ungrounded conductors in each raceway.

You need a 500 kcmil EGC in each raceway for that system, no matter what size the ungrounded conductors are in each raceway.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No...full sized in each raceway based on the 4000 amp OCPD. CMP 5 is on record saying that the size of the circuit conductors for a parallel system is the sum of all of the conductors connected in parallel and it is not the size of the ungrounded conductors in each raceway.

You need a 500 kcmil EGC in each raceway for that system, no matter what size the ungrounded conductors are in each raceway.

Code says you do not need a larger EGC then the ungrounded conductors.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
CMP 5 is on record saying that the size of the circuit conductors for a parallel system is the sum of all of the conductors connected in parallel and it is not the size of the ungrounded conductors in each raceway.

Can you elaborate more on this or link to it? I'm a bit confused by this statement. I'm reading it to take the EGC as part of that sum... however I can't see the EGC being larger than the current carrying conductors in any given conduit.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

Code says you do not need a larger EGC then the ungrounded conductors.

I think this might be a case of invoking Charlie's rule and that what the code _says_ might be different from what the code making panel wants it to say.

The code says that the EGC does not need to be larger than the ungrounded conductors.

One can easily interpret this to mean no larger than the individual wires making up the ungrounded conductors.

I personally agree with CMP 5's interpretation as reported by don_resqcapt19. Given that any given _single_ EGC might be called to carry the fault supplied by _all_ of the ungrounded conductors in parallel, the rule that each EGC be full sized makes sense to me. In particular look at the wording in 310 where we have the rules for parallel conductors: 'electrically joined at both ends to form a single conductor'. So other portions of the code support sets of wires joined at both ends being treated as a 'single conductor'.

But the code says what it says.

-Jon

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Can you elaborate more on this or link to it? I'm a bit confused by this statement. I'm reading it to take the EGC as part of that sum... however I can't see the EGC being larger than the current carrying conductors in any given conduit.
CMP 5 says that for a parallel circuit the size of the ungrounded conductor is the sum of the areas of the conductors connected in parallel.

Not going to take the time needed to research all of the ROPs and ROCs to find the statement. You can find PDFs of the 2014 and older codes on the NFPA website and the 2017 and 2020 stuff is there too, but in a different format.

There were a couple of PIs on this issue for the 2023 code, and the panel statements will be easy to find when the First Draft Report is published on 7/2/21.

Status
Not open for further replies.