Parasitic inductance power supply

coop3339

I just filed this provisional patent but after I finished I remembered that some breaker controls are powered by what may be Parasitic inductance from the current flowing through them. I can't seem to find any information on this. It could also be through a different method. Does anyone know how this works?

I listed the beginning of the provisional below if anyone is interested. My idea was that it could be used for sensors and communication like in IoT nodes. I think I may have just waisted $120. Please let me know your thoughts.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. Wasn't sure where it would fit in

Parasitic inductance power supply

FIELD OF INVENTION
  1. The present invention relates to a system and method for providing low-voltage power to single or multiple devices using inductive coupling, which is facilitated through the mains power feeders of other apparatuses or equipment.

BACKGROUND
  1. There is a frequent requirement for extracting power from mains supply to operate low-voltage devices, such as sensors or communication equipment, which may be independent or integrated with the mains-powered equipment. The conventional approach involves direct connections to mains power, necessitating the use of mains-rated power supplies, fuses and complex power electronics. This method is often excessive for devices needing only milliampere-level current at very low voltage. An alternative, more efficient solution is the use of parasitic inductive coupling, which allows for the extraction of power without physically connecting to the mains conductors. This method can efficiently power various devices, including battery chargers, ensuring continuous power supply to low-power equipment, even when the mains power is switched off.

SUMMARY
  1. This invention involves a method where a coil of wire is wrapped around an AC mains power conductor connected to power utilization or generation equipment. Functioning similarly to a current transformer, the fluctuating magnetic flux from the mains conductor induces an electrical potential in the coil. This induced voltage is then modified and regulated through electronic circuitry, enabling it to power small, low-voltage loads. This method effectively eliminates the need for direct electrical connections to the mains conductors, offering a simpler and less intrusive power supply solution for low-power devices.

coop3339

True not sure exactly how this works but this could be achieved by inserting a resister across the coil and reading the voltage drop. Similar to converting a 4-20mA signal to 0-10 volt signal. Thanks for sharing I appreciate the input!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have seen strobe lights on the red balls that are sometimes on OH power lines; I'm pretty sure that they are powered this way.

coop3339

It’s already done to power up solid state overload relays used in motor starters.
Yes there are a few similar devices. Utility patents can be tricky there are sometimes changes you can add to make it different enough and fit the new use being proposed. In this case, I'm afraid it is already played out. Thanks for your reply - Happy New Year!

synchro

Occupation
EE
I thought the following approach to power a fan with a shaded pole motor using a busbar as a single turn winding was interesting. A background story is at https://ethw.org/First-Hand:Creating_Self_Cooling_in_Switchgear_Equipment

busbar_powered_fan-png.2569434

Attachments

• Busbar_powered_fan.png
    Busbar_powered_fan.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 24