Pardon my neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Got a funny call on Friday. My buddy called me on the two-way, and told me a home inspector was down in a neighborhood that he and I wired, and declared that a subpanel we had installed was illegal because it didn't have a handle in the panel to shut off the panel.

Once the story was filtered a couple of times, as it turns out, the offending panel wasn't even a subpanel in the basement, it was the panel in the garage. Which is fed from the metermain outside.

Just like every other house in the neighborhood. :D

I told my buddy to tell him to cite a code reference. I then made an offhand reference to a Crackerjack box. I then laughed heartily and got back to work. :D

Where do these guys come from?
Edit to add: This guy has never seen an MLO panel? I wonder how much the customer is paying this guy? :eek:

[ July 24, 2005, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

bphgravity

Re: Pardon my neighborhood

I am not for an oppressive government that over-regulates every aspect of daily life but, some things need some regulation. Only a year or two ago here in Florida, anyone could acquire an occupational license as a "home inspector" with no certification or trianing whatsoever. Today, you must get certified through an accredited program before you can advertise and work in any jurisdiction. The level of competency of these agencies has gone way up since then.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Anyone who has dealt with home inspectors will tell you that they know very little about electrical work. I love to read their reports where they usually detail things that aren't incorrect and miss the big things that are.

jim k

bphgravity writes:
I am not for an oppressive government that over-regulates every aspect of daily life but, some things need some regulation. Only a year or two ago here in Florida, anyone could acquire an occupational license as a "home inspector" with no certification or trianing whatsoever. Today, you must get certified through an accredited program before you can advertise and work in any jurisdiction. The level of competency of these agencies has gone way up since then.
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, but at least it's a start. As a home inspector myself, I can assure you that, no matter how much regulation you have, there will always be incompetence.

A stiff set of State regulations is a start as is membership in an organization like ASHI that requires testing, report review and ongoing continuing education.

In defense of my profession, I'll just say that there are a lot of good home inspectors out there doing a good job every day. Unfortunately, it's the bozos who stick in our minds when we hear stories like this.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.