Park Trailer for Commercial Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bthielen

Would someone consider providing me with a little clarification?

I have 2002 NEC Handbook and was reviewing Article 552.1 regarding Park Trailers. The added highlighted comments suggest that this article does not apply to units that meet the definition of park trailer but are used for commercial purposes. What it does not indicate is what article does apply in that situation. I have been unable to determine where to start. Had I been looking only in the NEC, I would not have been aware of this bit of information.

Could someone point me in the right direction. I thought I was on the right track. The type of trailer I'm investigating is a unit similar to the refreshment stands you find at a county fair. Our organization has one that is quite old and I was checking to see if it is in compliance or if we need to have an electrician bring it up to code. Our unit contains deep fryers, wash basin, water heater, and small appliances. Thought I'd be able to make a relatively educated determination before we secure a contractor.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

bphgravity

Re: Park Trailer for Commercial Use

Originally posted by bthielen:
...Had I been looking only in the NEC, I would not have been aware of this bit of information...

Actually, Section 552.4 makes that point clear. "...It is not intended as a permanent dwelling unit or for commercial uses..."

I think the combination of this Article and that of Recreational Vehicles would give you a good basis. However, I believe there may be a separate standard that covers "concession-like" trailers. :confused:

B

bthielen

Re: Park Trailer for Commercial Use

Thanks a bunch. For some reason, when I read 552.4 I blew right by it when I saw refrence to banks, clinics, offices, or similar. Must have had a brain dump or something.

I see that 525 talks about portable wiring AND equipment however, I couldn't find where this would apply to commercial applications.

Seems like one must read between the lines quite a bit and combine the requirements from a number of sources because I have yet found an article that specifically identifies commercial uses for park trailers or clinics, banks, offices, etc., unless I am either overlooking something or making it more difficult than it has to be.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps we're better off if I recommend that we invite a contractor to give us an opinion.

Thanks again,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.