Parking garage lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Is it a code violation to have open bulb florcent fixtures in an out door multi story parking garage

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Electric-Light

Funny thing is they replaced all the bulbs with leds

Which may not make any difference. They're either semi flexible plastic that flaps around or fully shatterable glass, which appears to be made from a strip of circuit board glued inside a frosted t8 bulb with a thermal adhesive.

nickelec

There the 4 foot PLastic with the LED strip glued inside. I would assume they need to be vapor tight either way

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Is it a code violation to have open bulb florescent fixtures in an out door multi story parking garage

it's done here a lot. you have a 4' 2 tube T-8 strip fixture, and that is that.
that was the way it was.

now.... everything is LED fixtures, with occ sensors, and they dim to 20%
when nobody's around. Parking lot lights as well. occ sensors everywhere.
and the photoeye built in, turns them off when the sun is out.

but that is california. you don't say where you are located at.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If they are in a parking garage, technically they are under a roof or overhang. Wouldn't that make them in a damp location, not wet?

Depends. Parking structures are not water tight so water from cars, blowing rain and snow will trickle down through the floors, the bottom of which are the ceilings. Maybe in some areas like Southern CA or Arizona that isn't a problem and it could be considered a damp location.

-Hal

nickelec

Ya this is in NYC rain hail snow etc . Can someone point me in the right direction to search the code section

Status
Not open for further replies.