Parking Garage Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpenbert

I am working with Parking/Storage garages in a condominium high-rise that is used for tenant parking/storage and has closed off equipment rooms within the garage levels. Per NEC2002 article 511, is it true that the receptacles within parking/storage areas don't require GFCI protection but the closed off equipment rooms do require GFCI protection? Since the garage includes rooms with equipment I wasn't for sure if you could break down the garage into separate classifications.

Thanks,

----------------
David-St. Louis,MO

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Parking Garage Receptacles

511.3(A) defines this area as "unclassified." None of the rest of the rules under 511 apply. I don't know what "equipment" will be in the "equipment rooms." But 512 will not apply, so if it needs a GFCI outlet, it will be because of some other article in the NEC. It's not 210.8(B), so I don't know whether those rooms will require GFCI outlets.

dpenbert

Re: Parking Garage Receptacles

Sorry I wasn't very specific with the type of "equipment". Some of the equipment is as follows: Jockey Pump, Gas-fired unit heaters, domestic booster pump, electrical switchboards/panels, just to name a few. It appears I misunderstood article 511 but I understand that what I am dealing with is unclassified per 511.3.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.