Parts is parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've heard it said that the electrical trade has the most unique parts. I've been thinking a lot about this recently since I am in the process of designing a new service truck and the amount of required storage for tools and material is a critical factor.

Is this true? I think it probably is. And I would guess plumbers have the second most number of unique parts. What does a sheetrocker have? Maybe five parts? I'm curious to hear what you know about the other trades.

For the curious: Title Reference

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If I don’t use a part in six months, I will usually delete it from my truck stock. Then of course the next day could have used it! LOL! Ballasts are the biggest space hogs, so many different types, and you never have the one you need in stock! The trucks in our lighting division are always overloaded. DOT stop could rack up some fines. Springs are shot by the time they get 60,000 miles on them.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So what I'm really curious about is how many parts does a plumber have? Do they really have the second most unique parts?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
So what I'm really curious about is how many parts does a plumber have? Do they really have the second most unique parts?
When you consider they have drain lines in galvanized, copper, ABS, PVC......only in about 6 standard sizes with all the various fittings

And you consider they have water lines in galvanized, copper, PVC + CPVC, PEX....in 3 standard sizes with all the various fittings

And you consider they have gas lines in Black Iron, CSST, some other stuff I don't even know.... in 3 standard sizes with all the various fittings

Plus other stuff like soft roll copper with flare fittings, various flanges and valves, pumps, water heaters, etc

Then you add all the repair parts for the faucets, toilets, etc....

Man, if they aren't hauling around the most parts I don't know who would be

kwired

Electron manager
Keep in mind these parts more critical to those that take service calls.

When comparing the 5 parts a drywaller might need - they mostly doing new installs or major renovations and those five parts get delivered in bulk to the project. They probably seldom need to go to the truck to see if they have one more of a particular item.

Plumbers probably don't carry every fitting they might encounter either. Might even have certain amount of items that can be universal to more than one application. Electricians doing primarily service work a little bit the same - maybe some classified breakers on the truck to cover what is interchangeable - if they still want to pay attention to listing, some still plug whatever they have in if it fits. Then there is the more expensive but convertible conduit bodies that may become handy to stock on a service truck vs one for each possible configuration.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I was never a plumber but was a pipe fitter in the plumbers & pipe fitters local. Not only is there the plumbing parts but all the heating parts. Some guys do both. PVC, ABS (around here) copper sweat and copper press fittings, + MA doesn't allow PVC on a commercial job has to be copper or CI (the good old days)

Too many things to list

Todd0x1

I kept a short length of 500 kcmil cu for years. Within a week of scrapping it, I needed It. We can all relate to that scenario .

I had to buy 1 foot of 2/0 a few weeks ago. I had my head down walking into the supply house for that one......

Status
Not open for further replies.