Passed Wisconsin Exam - A Few Notes

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I recently received the results from the Wisconsin Master Electrician exam. As a first-timer, I didn't really know what to expect. Here are a few notes for others:

1. The rumor is that the Journeyman exam is mostly code lookup and the Master exam is mostly calculations. This matched my experience on the Master Exam.

2. It is a 50-question, 4-hour test. Bring any resources you want to the test as long as it is bound. Putting it in a 3-ring binder counts as binding. You are only permitted to write on the exam paper itself. No scratch paper permitted.

3. If you pass, your license fee will be prorated for whatever remains of a 4-year renewal cycle. You must complete 24 hours of continuing education prior to the renewal date.

Here is how I prepared:

1706416851897.png

1. Of course, I used the Mike Holt Exam Prep book. Just a note: The practice exams in the back of the book are mostly code look-up tests. The number of calculation-focused problems is limited to what is in instructional part of the book. To supplement the Holt prep with a wider variety of problems, I used Snapz training. See below.

2. Of course I added the colored tabs to the NEC for fast reference. If you look carefully above, you'll see that I added some tabs at the top for a few tables I referenced frequently. I just used a typical tape label maker to make the tabs.

3. As I took prep exams, I noticed that I spent a lot of time searching for numbers even if I knew generally where to look. So I used this strategy:

Yellow - Basic highlights
    Pink - Used to distinguish differences, or to highlight "not" "or" "and" where it was important. (In the image below, I was highlighting Dwelling Units because I needed to remind myself that the rules are different and to look elsewhere for non-dwelling units.
    Orange Circle - to circle numbers to make them easier to find.
    1706455820017.png

4. Where Wisconsin code differs from the national code, I wrote the reference right into the book. In some cases I even glued in a copy of the Wisconsin changes when they were extensive. For instance, the Wisconsin code has a whole section on septic systems and I just glued it into the NEC book at the beginning of Article 300.
    1706456067984.png

5. As I made my way through the Holt guide and others, I made my own spreadsheets that implement the code as a kind of calculator. You can find mine here, but it was the act of creating them that was useful for learning.

1706456560072.png

If you want to use these sheets, a couple of things matter:
    a. There are multiple tabs at the bottom for different sections.
    b. The blue boxes are inputs, the white boxes are outputs. The yellow boxes are calculated by the spreadsheet but may have to be updated by the user under certain conditions.
    c. It's built for the 2017 code because that's where Wisconsin is now.
    d. It may have mistakes in it. I was building it as a learning strategy, not as a tool for general use.

6. I remade my own version of the NEC table of contents. There is nothing wrong with the NEC's Table of Contents, but the process of creating my own helped to solidify my understanding of the structure of the codebook. You can find mine here. The sample below is from Chapter 2. Same caveats as above. I did this for my own learning and I don't claim that it is error free.
    1706457140469.png

7. I really wanted more practice on calculations than the Holt book offered. I found the Snapz Electrical License Prep tools to be awesome. The subscription includes all the stuff you see below. Some of it timed to drive speed, some of it untimed so that you can study as you go. It costs $149 for three months.

1706457474532.png

8. I bound my calculators (5 above) and my own version of the Table of Contents (6 above) into a 3-hole notebook and brought them to the exam. They were the only two resources I used during the exam.

9. I used the NEC Handbook to clarify portions of the code I didn't understand on a plain reading of the code. I had an electronic copy, so I couldn't take that to the exam.

10. The Illustrated guide to the NEC looked terrific when I bought it at eBay and I liked the simple explanations in it. It had nice 1-page calculators in it. But with my own calculator work (see above) and the Holt book under my belt, it really wasn't necessary. Still, I'd recommend it if you're trying to overprepare.

11. I saw everyone who loved Ugly's Electrical References. I really wanted to love it as so many others do, but I found that it was just an exercise for my reading glasses and didn't add any new understanding. (Yes, I know, it's just a reference, but I had higher hopes.)
    1706457974356.png
Armed with the NEC, my table of contents, a calculator and some snacks, I headed off to the exam. By the way, snacks and water are highly recommended. I took WAY too many pencils, but being prepared made sense.
1706458162360.png

These steps are not recommendations, but they reflect my prep strategy. Maybe it will be helpful to others.

Paul

MrJLH

If you are an engineer, do you not have to a master electrician sign off on your experience?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Six hours per year of CEU? Do people just take the same classes over and over again?
I don't, but every renewal cycle I struggle to find CE courses that are relevant, affordable, and actually educational or at least interesting.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
2....."You are only permitted to write on the exam paper itself. No scratch paper permitted."
Are you allowed to scribble in your reference books or other places?? Can you write on the back of the exam paper??

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
2....."You are only permitted to write on the exam paper itself. No scratch paper permitted."
Are you allowed to scribble in your reference books or other places?? Can you write on the back of the exam paper??
In the NACEP exam they furnished copies of the NEC, but if you wrote in it they would kick you out of the exam.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I don't, but every renewal cycle I struggle to find CE courses that are relevant, affordable, and actually educational or at least interesting.
Have you checked with your local supply houses? Most of the ones in this area offer 1hr seminars which are approved by the state for CE credit.

I presented ones on overcurrent protection, SCCRs, and NFPA70E. I did these at contractor offices, monthly professional meetings, and yearly conferences/trade shows. After the classes I entered the attendees name into the state website so they could have their CEUs tracked.

Galt

Occupation
master electrician and refrigeration service tech.
Wis. has a farm wiring class that is paid for the co-ops and excell energy and others .No cost to you. Also Monte ewings classes are good because he lives in the real world.