Patrick Kennedy in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

mdshunk said:
No. Why, what happened to him? I thought he was in Georgia anyhow. No?

It's my understanding that he sold out the operation in Georgia.

There was an earlier thread about him starting a new operation in Florida.

I have not been keeping up with it but I'm quite sure he will do well. Why not, he now has all his business saavy and a pile of money to work with and that's normally what it takes.

mdshunk

I actually looked into the Mister Sparky franchise system just a couple years ago. This may seem odd or trivial, but there was one sticking point that I could not personally get over. The name. Even though on jobsites, every electrician is hailed by "Hey, Sparky!", I just don't want anything to do with sparks in my company name. Sorta has a "We'll Try Not To Burn Your House Down Electrical, Inc.", type of ring to my ear.

growler

mdshunk said:
This may seem odd or trivial, but there was one sticking point that I could not personally get over. The name. Even though on jobsites, every electrician is hailed by "Hey, Sparky!",

That's the beauty of the name " Mr. Sparky". Remember that the most popular songs of all time are not the most complicated or best written but the one's that are simple to play and remember the words to.

It doesn't take a lot to remember Mr. sparky. And that's all you really need is for the customer to remember the company name when they need service.

mdshunk

growler said:
That's the beauty of the name " Mr. Sparky". Remember that the most popular songs of all time are not the most complicated or best written but the one's that are simple to play and remember the words to.

It doesn't take a lot to remember Mr. sparky. And that's all you really need is for the customer to remember the company name when they need service.
So you're a Mister Sparky franchise owner or employee, maybe?

growler

mdshunk said:
So you're a Mister Sparky franchise owner or employee, maybe?

No, I have no association with Mr. Spark at all. Mr. sparky started out about 5 miles North of me and I remember when many electricians were making fun of the name and saying he would soon be out of business because of high prices. That didn't happen and Sparky had the last laugh.

I have noticed a great deal of change in this area since Mr. Sparky started in business. They set the standard for electrical service companies in the area. Many of the older companies jumped on the service train once they saw how profitable the business could be.

Companies like Sparky actually pioneered the service industry that exist today. If it wasn't for them electricians would still show up in pick up trucks with a ladder and roll of Romex in the back for $30 an hour.

I think companies like Sparky have done a lot of good for the electrical service industry by showing people that you don't have to be the cheapest guy in town to get business.

mdshunk

growler said:
I have noticed a great deal of change in this area since Mr. Sparky started in business. They set the standard for electrical service companies in the area. Many of the older companies jumped on the service train once they saw how profitable the business could be.
That has been my observation as well. Matter of fact, most of the Mr.Electric and Mr.Sparky franchise owners that I know were already electrical contractors, engaged mostly in construction. They got into service by buying a "system", such as Mr. Sparky. They operate as sort of a double-breasted operation. Keep the old company name for the construction work and use the new franchise name for the service department.

growler said:
I think companies like Sparky have done a lot of good for the electrical service industry by showing people that you don't have to be the cheapest guy in town to get business.
Yes, I happen to agree with that very much.

Sparky555

There was an earlier thread with I link I can't find now, to a site that described his new business in Florida to get back to his roots & raise the kids. It had a tally of services installed & average invoice, I think. I was looking for an update, it's been a few months.

Dave

bikeindy

I am personally not fond of being called sparky on job sites and don't answer to it. I agree with Marc about the name. There is a guy here who has a guy being shocked as his logo, I kind of think that is the same as a airline having a plane crash as thier logo. I don't know maybe it's just me.

bikeindy

oh and if anyone would like to use my business name in their posts I won't mind and if you want to throw in the city I am from that would be ok too.

nakulak

I've often thought of incorporating "arcing" "sparking" and "burnin down the house" into a company name, as well as a logo with flames and maybe even one of those sparking gizmos to have flames always coming out the tailpipes of the vehicles.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
bikeindy said:
I am personally not fond of being called sparky on job sites and don't answer to it. I agree with Marc about the name. There is a guy here who has a guy being shocked as his logo, I kind of think that is the same as a airline having a plane crash as thier logo. I don't know maybe it's just me.

Agreed. I changed my name from 'Marky the Sparky' to 'Marcus DeSparcus' for that very reason.

c2500

We have an "ARC" electrical here, and I cringe at the name. Ironically, we know what things like that mean and I would say the general population does not. But then again there is a moron here that has a business called "Just fix It." I would hazard a guess he is the largest user of Duct tape in the state. (he is, however, licensed and insured)

c2500

Status
Not open for further replies.