PDF Editor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

anyone know of an alternative to Adobe? mostly needed for editing cut sheets...a free program would be optimal...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i bought a copy of adobe standard 6.0 off ebay for about $10. you can upgrade to the latest version at a reasonable price.

aline

emahler said:
anyone know of an alternative to Adobe? mostly needed for editing cut sheets...a free program would be optimal...
I suppose you would also like a "free estimate" as well. :grin:

tyha

we have this program that converts pdf's to word or text for editing. It also creates pdf's out of other formats. Thats what I got it for. we get alot of drawings in tiff format and it sucks because you dont have all the tools like adobe. I think both programs are maybe $60 or $70 at www.docudesk.com . I havent used the pdf to word yet but transfering from tiff to pdf is awesome

mdshunk

emahler said:
I find that many PDF documents that I'd like to edit come "locked". I have full Adobe 8.1, and you can't even unlock them with that unless you have the original password from the creator of the document. It's to prevent people from modifying contracts and such that are submitted electronically in PDF form.

nakulak

mdshunk said:
I find that many PDF documents that I'd like to edit come "locked". I have full Adobe 8.1, and you can't even unlock them with that unless you have the original password from the creator of the document. It's to prevent people from modifying contracts and such that are submitted electronically in PDF form.

yeah, I love that feature.

Rampage_Rick

emahler said:
We use both PrimoPDF and Acrobat Pro. If you just want to make PDFs from Word or whatever, PrimoPDF is fine (and free)

It's only when you want to start doing fancy things like hyperlinks and clickable forms that you need the real thing.

As an aside, PDF isn't really a good format to be edited, in comparison to a word processor. Generally speaking, you should be making all your changes in the original document (i.e. Microsoft Word .doc) and generating a new PDF file after each change.

emahler

Rampage_Rick said:
We use both PrimoPDF and Acrobat Pro. If you just want to make PDFs from Word or whatever, PrimoPDF is fine (and free)

It's only when you want to start doing fancy things like hyperlinks and clickable forms that you need the real thing.

As an aside, PDF isn't really a good format to be edited, in comparison to a word processor. Generally speaking, you should be making all your changes in the original document (i.e. Microsoft Word .doc) and generating a new PDF file after each change.

i've been using Primo for awhile now...but it's just what you said...

i need an editor so that when we do cut sheets or when drawings are sent to me in a PDF form, we can edit them...

Adobe is just an overpriced, bloated product for what i need..

aline

Smart $

Esteemed Member
emahler said:
i've been using Primo for awhile now...but it's just what you said...

i need an editor so that when we do cut sheets or when drawings are sent to me in a PDF form, we can edit them...

Adobe is just an overpriced, bloated product for what i need..
FWIW, I hear OpenOffice 3.0 will have PDF import and export capabiity. It is currently in public beta stage of production...

http://www.openoffice.org/

emahler

aline, nice find on that acrobat...

what i am really looking for is a program with will allow me to fill in forms and edit pdf's for cut sheets...

most manufacturers/vendors have their sheets available via pdf...i don't want to type in the info and have to print it out. i want to just type in the info and save it.

when we have 40-50 different products that i need submittals for, i just type the info, save them, and email them to everyone. saves me a ton of money in paper and time.

just have issues giving adobe $500 for the acrobat, when they used to have a $50 program that would do everything i needed. but they no longer offer it.

everything above and beyond that task may or may not be needed at some point in the future.

emahler said:
i don't want to type in the info and have to print it out. i want to just type in the info and save it.

I use PDF reDirect, it acts like a printer, letting you edit PDFs in Adobe Reader (which is free) and print a new one in PDF reDirect.

It also has a couple of other nice features, like letting you rotate, or set color or black and white. The pro version (not free) lets you edit and apply digital stamps to what you print.

All that, and there's no ads like PDF995's free version!

emahler

DanZ said:
I use PDF reDirect, it acts like a printer, letting you edit PDFs in Adobe Reader (which is free) and print a new one in PDF reDirect.

It also has a couple of other nice features, like letting you rotate, or set color or black and white. The pro version (not free) lets you edit and apply digital stamps to what you print.

All that, and there's no ads like PDF995's free version!

will it simply let me fill in a form and save it for emailing? or do i physically need to print it out?

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
mdshunk said:

Hmmm... I never even considered password protecting my pdf proposals.

Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.