PE license in multiple disciplines question

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer82

So this guy at my work has a PE license in electrical and fire protection.

He stamps both Elec and FP drawings.

I'm wondering how he got that second FP license. Does anyone know if there's an easier way to get the second FP license (elec was his first). Would he have had to actually take the fire protection PE exams similar to the electrical?

thx

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Washington State has a separate PE license for the Fire Protection discipline. An applicant would have to pass the related exam, which would be different from the electrical PE exam.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think that's the way it is in NC.
NJ is the same way. When I took the exam, fire protection wasn't an option. You took it in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Chemical. However, the license they send you doesn't distinguish among them. The caveat was "Don't practice outside your area of expertise".

In Vermont, each discipline is separately licensed. If you want to get multiple licenses, you have to repeat the 5-year experience period for each one.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
NJ is the same way. When I took the exam, fire protection wasn't an option. You took it in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Chemical. However, the license they send you doesn't distinguish among them. The caveat was "Don't practice outside your area of expertise".

In Vermont, each discipline is separately licensed. If you want to get multiple licenses, you have to repeat the 5-year experience period for each one.
You can't initially do two five year periods concurrently under a dual licensed supervising PE or supervised by two PEs?

gadfly56

Occupation
You can't initially do two five year periods concurrently under a dual licensed supervising PE or supervised by two PEs?
As I read their regs, no. And if you did it that way, you wouldn't really have the 5 years in either discipline, unless you are working 80 hours a week for the full 5 years.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As I read their regs, no. And if you did it that way, you wouldn't really have the 5 years in either discipline, unless you are working 80 hours a week for the full 5 years.
Are you also arguing that to do a new 5 year qualification period you would have to stop practicing under your existing license so that you can work full time supervised in the new area?

gadfly56

Occupation
Are you also arguing that to do a new 5 year qualification period you would have to stop practicing under your existing license so that you can work full time supervised in the new area?
That is the logical conclusion. I don't know if that was a specific intent on the part of the lawmakers.

So I went to the Vermont web site and it looks like things have changed a bit around 2009 and again in 2013. You have to have 4 years experience to sit for your first specialty, but after that it takes only 2 additional years for each additional specialty. It also doesn't mention how the time might be split between your current specialty and the next one you want.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Getting 4 (or 5 or whatever) years of experience under the supervision of a PE does not work the same way getting the required hours (8000 in Washington, I seem to recall) working as an electrician apprentice under the supervision of a Journeyman or Master Electrician. The apprentice's hours need to be documented and signed off by the supervising JMs or Masters.

An engineer's 4 years of work experience is not accounted for on an hour-by-hour basis. You need a letter of recommendation from each of the PEs under whom you have done project work. The letter attests to the number of years (and if appropriate, the number of additional months) that you have worked under their supervision. The letter also states their opinion as to whether they believe you have the technical capabilities and are worthy of receiving the trust that comes with the license.

Status
Not open for further replies.