"Peak Load" Fee??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local electric co-op is newly charging a “peak load” fee during certain hours. I understand the reasoning, except I started seeing this fee at times when my entire house was shut down this summer (except for a 10 watt light on a timer), so the only explanation can be that they were charging this fee when I was generating power from my 24 solar panels and feeding back to the grid.

Has anyone else seen this type of fee applies to generation as well as usage?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
This sort of thing is regulated by your state, so experiences from other states have no particular bearing on whether such a thing is allowed where you are.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Our local electric co-op is newly charging a “peak load” fee during certain hours. I understand the reasoning, except I started seeing this fee at times when my entire house was shut down this summer (except for a 10 watt light on a timer), so the only explanation can be that they were charging this fee when I was generating power from my 24 solar panels and feeding back to the grid.

Does the POCO know you have solar? Have you discuss3d this with them?

We have had people connect solar for export without letting us know. This results in charges to their bill because while our meter may turn backwards, the charges all go forward. Its called “secure forward”

Could be something like this?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Call your new governor, John Dutton and he'll send Beth and Rip over to the POCO and straighten them out. :D

Occupation
Retired master electrician
Some electronic (non-mechanical) KWH meters always register in the increasing KWH direction, no matter the actual flow.

I had a job where we temporarily fed a building with a meter socket from another building, connecting the service head to a feeder from the second building. I stuck an electronic meter into the socket upside down as a way to show the POCO not the read it.

When I came back a few weeks later, the meter read more KWH than when I installed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.