peninsular countertop receptacle outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

The 2020 NEC says at least one receptacle outlet shall be provided for the first 9 ft² (or fraction thereof) of the peninsular countertop. And then another receptacle outlet shall be provided for every additional 18 ft² (or fraction thereof) of countertop or work surface thereafter. It further states that the peninsular countertop begins at the connected perpendicular wall. My question is as follows: If a peninsular countertop is 2 feet wide and 4 feet long, and is considered a peninsular countertop from the perpendicular wall, only one receptacle is required, is a receptacle at the end of the peninsular the only one required? Another words, does the 2-foot wide peninsular not require a receptacle outlet along the connecting wall as it is, by definition, a peninsular, not a wall space.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, you could read it that way but I don't think that is the intent.

I see the first 9 sq. ft as needing a receptacle. That would be the wall receptacle. Then one is needed within 2' of the end. That would be the second receptacle. Imo you need 2 receptacles

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
So you are saying even though it is less than 9 sq feet, 2 receptacle outlets are required.
That is an interesting question.. I would say the way it is worded you need two as Dennis has described. In Mass they amended this a bit .. The one on the wall can serve as the peninsular outlet if the outer edge is not more than six feet measured from the wall and the top is contiguous.
" 210.52(C)(3). Revise to read as follows: (3) Peninsular Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular countertop long dimension space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. A receptacle in a wall countertop space that directly faces a peninsular countertop shall be permitted to serve as the receptacle for the peninsular space where the spaces are contiguous and the receptacle is located within 1.8 m (6 ft) of its most distant edge."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So you are saying even though it is less than 9 sq feet, 2 receptacle outlets are required.

When I answered before I thought you have 2 x4 then another 2x4 cabinet. If the entire cabinet is 2' x 4' then I would say one is all you need. I can see someone insisting you install two

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
That is an interesting question.. I would say the way it is worded you need two as Dennis has described. In Mass they amended this a bit .. The one on the wall can serve as the peninsular outlet if the outer edge is not more than six feet measured from the wall and the top is contiguous.
" 210.52(C)(3). Revise to read as follows: (3) Peninsular Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular countertop long dimension space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. A receptacle in a wall countertop space that directly faces a peninsular countertop shall be permitted to serve as the receptacle for the peninsular space where the spaces are contiguous and the receptacle is located within 1.8 m (6 ft) of its most distant edge."

Sometimes the MA. am:)endments are a good thing

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
The 2020 NEC says at least one receptacle outlet shall be provided for the first 9 ft² (or fraction thereof) of the peninsular countertop. And then another receptacle outlet shall be provided for every additional 18 ft² (or fraction thereof) of countertop or work surface thereafter. It further states that the peninsular countertop begins at the connected perpendicular wall. My question is as follows: If a peninsular countertop is 2 feet wide and 4 feet long, and is considered a peninsular countertop from the perpendicular wall, only one receptacle is required, is a receptacle at the end of the peninsular the only one required? Another words, does the 2-foot wide peninsular not require a receptacle outlet along the connecting wall as it is, by definition, a peninsular, not a wall space.

There is a nice Ryan Jackson video about new receptacle requirements on peninsulas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Exactly and that was part of my substantiation to change the connection point back to the wall cabinet where the peninsular cabinet connects to a wall cabinet. The 2020 does not require a receptacle at that wall space. It only requires the number of receptacles required by the area of the peninsula and where that results in a requirement for a single receptacle outlet, then it must within 2' from the outer end of the peninsula. The change was accepted at the first draft meeting, but that is not the final first draft action. The ballots come after the meetings. A simple majority advances a PI to ballot, but it requires a 2/3s majority to become part of the first draft report. That report is scheduled to be published on July 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.