People are funny-part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Previously on People are funny.....

Here's the general scope of the work to be done from an email I sent to the customer

We're looking at $2898.50 to do the work we discussed.

Install conduits for telephone cable and power from pole to house
Install pull strings in phone and cable conduits
Install power wiring in conduit from pole to meter socket on house front corner
Install new 200 amp circuit breaker panel in front corner of basement
Refeed existing service panel in basement

All materials supplied by Scott Stevens Electrical
All excavating and back filling to be done by others

Here's the reply...

Hi Scott. CFO says we have to cut corners. Would you let me purchase the conduit(s) and put them in the trench? I'd run the wires and strings. How much would this save me, if anything and is there anything else I could do myself? Thank you

Last edited:

electricmanscott

And now People are funny-part deux

This is what I sent as a reply to the previous discussion

There isn't really anything you can do to save money on this job from an electrical standpoint. All the work that is being done will be done under my license, insurance and permit and as such I can only do the job if it is me doing the work. I never allow customers to do work that I am responsible for and even though this is pretty straightforward and obviously not rocket science the liability remains.

As far as you purchasing the materials my first thought would be do you have a list of materials that I would need for the job? It has been my experience that customer supplied materials ALWAYS turns into a problem. Wrong materials, not enough materials, missed materials etc.

Having said all that, I believe the price I gave you for the job is fair and accurate for the work involved and I figured it tight so there is no wiggle room in that regard.

let me know if you want to go ahead.

The reply to that you ask???

Thank you for the information, I can understand the points you outline. This part of the project was not budgeted, and finding the money is difficult. So you are aware, we are also asking the person we contacted for the trench work to help out. I was hoping to get your estimate closer to $3,700. Any way we can make that work? We can provide much well-deserved praise, daily supply of sinful pastries and celebratory alcoholic beverages of your choice when the project is done. :)

I think I can agree to those terms. :grin: :grin: Especially the $3700.00 they are willing to pay for the job I quoted them $2898.50!!

You guys need me to negotioate anything for you? People are begging to give me their money. :cool:

220/221

I was hoping to get your estimate closer to $3,700. Any way we can make that work?

Reply: I will take $3400 cash and $300 in pastries and beer. That's the best I can do. :cool:

mivey

I want to see the response to this one. "No, wait! I meant $2700!"
Shoot, let him dig the trench and cover it when you are done for the $198.50 difference.

add: and still scarf up on the pastries!

Last edited:

growler

I was hoping to get your estimate closer to $3,700. Any way we can make that work? We can provide much well-deserved praise, daily supply of sinful pastries and celebratory alcoholic beverages of your choice when the project is done. :)

I'm fairly sure that the guy ment to say $2700.00 and not $3700.00 but that's not to bad. He is only trying to talk you down by $198.50. I would normally put in just a little extra for wiggle room on a job like this.

I think that I would make this as a counter offer. Sir I'm not interested in the pastries nor the alcoholic beverage as I don't allow alcohol on the job ( before or after work ) but after carefull consideration and in order to speed things along if you are willing to cut a check for $2800 at the beginning of the job that will be acceptable. There is a certain savings associated with having the check in hand rather than having to bill and wait for payment. Money in hand is how you negotiate a job like this as pastries and booze really have no bearing on the price.

I really will knock off a few bucks if the risk factor of having to bill and wait for the money is removed. ;)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Me: "It's $2700"
Cust: "What if I pay you cash"
Me: "Do I get to do less work"
Cust: "No"
Me: "oh, in that case, it's $2700"
Cust: "But you don't have to go to the bank or pay the taxes"
Me: "I still have to go to the bank and I already paid my taxes"

Status
Not open for further replies.