Perils and Pitfalls one should know about LED lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been researching my area and it seems as if everything has gone LED. My only prior experience with LED was step channel lighting and tube lighting, which was on it's own separate transformer (sometimes circuit similar to neon ballasts.)

1. Anything I should be concerned about with the majority of the building being lit by LED fixtures, load calcs, harmonics that is different from electronic ballast or HID lighting loads?

2. Decent product lines? (Primarily purchasing via CED so lines they carry)

Thank you

Next "new-fangled" topics include PV and VFD's ;)

Electric-Light

See my discussion about flicker.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=181983

Absence of flicker is an important part of light quality. It's low enough in all traditional general lighting that there was usually no need bring it up specifically. HPS has quite a bit of flicker although they're not used in places where lighting quality matters.

LED ballasts that do away without capacitors is the record breaker in the most flickery lights. There is really no standard at this point and fixtures using this type of ballasting are sold for indoor use so these medicore light quality fixtures will find their way into hotels and residential units.

You should review flicker index/flicker percentage along with other specs and look for fixtures that use replaceable constant current LED ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.