Permanent generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

For a permanent generator, with a dedicated 200-amp main breaker and separate load center in the basement, is there any minimum number of conduit runs needed to the generator?

I'm just curious on this because a client has a generator - supposedly the original installer only had a single conduit (underground) to the unit, but that was ripped out and replaced with 2 separate conduits (the generator is 30 KW Kohler). The reasoning was that the cables were supplying power in opposite directions and that these could not be in the same conduit.

The logic makes sense - I'm just trying to learn something for future reference - I very rarely come across a generator in residential use.

tkb

We usually run three conduits.
One for the power from the generator.
One for the power to the generator for the accessories like the battery charger and block heater.
One for the controls and communications.

We don't do residential installations, but I would still do it the same way.

ericsherman37

One for the power to the generator for the accessories like the battery charger and block heater.

Same!

Usually the residential generator applications I see are pretty low-tech: a portable generator that can plug into an inlet and backfeed the panel (which has a little interlock kit installed). I think I helped install a manual transfer switch at a residence once... I think the owner had gotten it off the side of the road somewhere and wanted it installed, so who are we not to oblige him :D

But I've done several larger generator projects for all sorts of places... the biggest I think ran a sewer plant's entire service. That one had several parallel power conduits, plus another two or four small conduits for the accessory stuff and comm/control wires.

But for the OP: there is no "minimum" per se... just depends on the installation and generator requirements. If all it does is supply power then just the power conduit... if it has some sort of annunciator panel inside, then you'd probably need an additional pipe for that. etc. etc.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

For that size generator we also do the same.

JES2727

We also do it this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.