Permanent padlock provision

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have an inspector that is requiring a permanent padlock attachment on a breaker, the problem is, it's an old Square D EHB, which is obsolete, and the attachment is no longer made. The motor it controls does have a lockable disconnect. I know I've seen the requirement before, but I can't remember where it was located. Anybody know it of the top of their head?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the motor already has it's own disconnect then why do you need a locking provision on the CB?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is a self contained air compressor, so a disconnect meets the requirements of of 430, this is a podunk town, so its probably on of those "Inspects everything" inspectors.

IMO the inspector is mistaken in his thought. I've heard many times that you need to kill all power to a piece of equipment with it's own integral disconnect.

iwire

Staff member
This is a self contained air compressor, so a disconnect meets the requirements of of 430,

You had not mentioned that both the motor and controller where together., I had assumed the motor was remote from the controller with a lockable disconnect at the motor.

iwire

Staff member
IMO the inspector is mistaken in his thought. I've heard many times that you need to kill all power to a piece of equipment with it's own integral disconnect.

I agree with you as far as current code but to be honest I think it would make sense for the NEC to require a lockable disconnect external to the equipment. Such as a lock at the breaker.

It would be easier to comply with 70E / OSHA.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I agree with you as far as current code but to be honest I think it would make sense for the NEC to require a lockable disconnect external to the equipment. Such as a lock at the breaker.

It would be easier to comply with 70E / OSHA.

A lot of industrial engineers are starting to add that to the prints for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.