Permit Required??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx-codeguy

I am looking for input as to how your local AHJ's handle permitting of replacement of luminaires in commercial buildings. At what point does it trigger a permit? 1 fixture? 10 fixtures? Retro kits? Like for like? Interested in seeing what other jurisdictions require.

tw1156

Also in Texas:

Light fixtures:

1) Relamping - no problem, no permit needed
2) Changing Lights/disconnecting them from supply - You have to bring them up to current energy code (Including Controls unfortunately)

Texas currently adopts the IECC 2015:

C202 Definitions: Alteration: Any construction, retrofit or renovation to an existing structure other than repair or addition that requires a permit. Also, a change in a building, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system that involves an extension, addition or change to the arrangement, type or purpose of the original installation requires a permit.

C503 - Alterations: Exception: The following alterations need not comply with the requiremetns for new construction, provided the energy use of the building is not increased.
.....7) Alterations that replace less than 50 percent of the luminaires in a space, provided that such alterations do not increase the installed interior lighting power.

C503.6 - Lighting system: New lighting systems that are part of the alteration shall comply with Section C405.
Exception: Alterations that replace less than 10 percent of the luminaires in a space, provided that such alterations do not increase the installed interior lighting power.

I noticed you're in Tyler (2009 IECC) -- if they are not enforcing the state mandated minimum code, IECC 2009 is a little bit less restrictive:

101.4.3 Exception:
....8). Alterations that replace only the bulb and ballast within the existing luminaires in space provided that the alteration does not increaes the installed interior lighting power.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Also in Texas:

Light fixtures:

1) Relamping - no problem, no permit needed
2) Changing Lights/disconnecting them from supply - You have to bring them up to current energy code (Including Controls unfortunately)

Texas currently adopts the IECC 2015:

C202 Definitions: Alteration: Any construction, retrofit or renovation to an existing structure other than repair or addition that requires a permit. Also, a change in a building, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system that involves an extension, addition or change to the arrangement, type or purpose of the original installation requires a permit.

C503 - Alterations: Exception: The following alterations need not comply with the requiremetns for new construction, provided the energy use of the building is not increased.
.....7) Alterations that replace less than 50 percent of the luminaires in a space, provided that such alterations do not increase the installed interior lighting power.

C503.6 - Lighting system: New lighting systems that are part of the alteration shall comply with Section C405.
Exception: Alterations that replace less than 10 percent of the luminaires in a space, provided that such alterations do not increase the installed interior lighting power.

I noticed you're in Tyler (2009 IECC) -- if they are not enforcing the state mandated minimum code, IECC 2009 is a little bit less restrictive:

101.4.3 Exception:
....8). Alterations that replace only the bulb and ballast within the existing luminaires in space provided that the alteration does not increaes the installed interior lighting power.

I would not necessarily say less restrictive, only different. (If, as I am guessing from your statements, the exceptions in [2015] allowing replacing a limited quantity of fixtures or entire systems do not appear in [2009])
Oh, I guess I see the difference in that [2009] may not contain any energy requirements and [2015] still requires a permit, just not a new energy evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.