Pet spa machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have Dog wash area in high rise garage. It has Pet spa machine, pet dryer

I do recall having spa section NEC 2017. However I am not sure if that section applies to pets. Does anyone here know?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't remember any section of the NEC specifying "for humans only" and in fact, when talking about "equipotential planes" is generally directed at livestock. IMHO, if it has the same characteristics as a spa used by humans, I would apply the same rules.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I don't remember any section of the NEC specifying "for humans only" and in fact, when talking about "equipotential planes" is generally directed at livestock. IMHO, if it has the same characteristics as a spa used by humans, I would apply the same rules.

Spa is direct wired to panelboard with 20A breaker. Nec 2017 section 680.44 says gfci for outlet. I dont see anything in NEC 2017 680 or else where gfci for direct wired?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Spa is direct wired to panelboard with 20A breaker. Nec 2017 section 680.44 says gfci for outlet. I dont see anything in NEC 2017 680 or else where gfci for direct wired?
You do not have to have a receptacle to have an outlet. The outlet is where the power leaves the building wiring system. In the case of a direct wired machine, the outlet is normally the junction box where the connection to the internal wiring of the machine is made. It is still and outlet that triggers the need for GFCI protection. If the code section refers to receptacles, then direct wiring bypasses that requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.