PFC voltage rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
She was right because the kVAR rating is different for 25HP at the different voltages?

Because there is no problem using a higher voltage rated capacitor, it’s only the kVAR rating that matters. Usually PFC caps are sold by kVAR, not HP because determining the kVAR that you need is often not that simple.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
She was right because the kVAR rating is different for 25HP at the different voltages?

Because there is no problem using a higher voltage rated capacitor, it’s only the kVAR rating that matters. Usually PFC caps are sold by kVAR, not HP because determining the kVAR that you need is often not that simple.
She was right because a 480v capacitor is considerably less kvar when operated at 240v.
Our suppliers only ask for the HP, and then give us a capacitor. I see the charts list different sizes depending on the frame and other details.

synchro

Occupation
EE
The kVAR from a given capacitance value is proportional to the square of the applied voltage, and so the kVAR at 480V will be 4X the kVAR at 240V.
Therefore you'd need a 480V PFC unit with 4X the kVAR rating as one spec'd for 240V. But the 480V unit is going to cost more money because its capacitor can stand more voltage even though it has the same capacitance in μF as the 240V unit.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The kVAR from a given capacitance value is proportional to the square of the applied voltage, and so the kVAR at 480V will be 4X the kVAR at 240V.
Therefore you'd need a 480V PFC unit with 4X the kVAR rating as one spec'd for 240V. But the 480V unit is going to cost more money because its capacitor can stand more voltage even though it has the same capacitance in μF as the 240V unit.
Once I found the formula, that is just about what I figured out.

7-10 days delivery.

Reactions: ron

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Someone remind me of what PVC stands for? I know its a starting CAP and I think its polyester????

retirede

Someone remind me of what PVC stands for? I know its a starting CAP and I think its polyester????

Polyester polypropelyne film capacitors are called PVC.
Maybe the guy who came up with the acronym was drunk? There’s probably a more reasonable explanation, but I’m too lazy to dig for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.