Not open for further replies.

Toros

Hi
i have an old building that is served with 120v, or 2-wire system
i am looking for a phase-voltage converter for the new 240v AC unit
any suggestion??

Thank you

Toros

What you need is a new 120/240 volt service. Minimum size would be 100 amps to a residence.

You could use a transformer to step up the voltage to 240v, but by the time you got done messing with that, you will have paid for the new service.
need a transformer for the new ac unit only
5 kw 120v step up to 240v 1 ph

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
need a transformer for the new ac unit only
5 kw 120v step up to 240v 1 ph

You're OP said "phase converter" which implies 3Ø. Now you say "transformer". If all you need is single phase 240V then a transformer might work. Having said that, I don't know why your customer wouldn't want a 120v/240V service. I didn't realize there were any 120V only services still in operation.

Toros

You're OP said "phase converter" which implies 3Ø. Now you say "transformer". If all you need is single phase 240V then a transformer might work. Having said that, I don't know why your customer wouldn't want a 120v/240V service. I didn't realize there were any 120V only services still in operation.
Because the building is in LA and it takes very long to get a new service
besides
new rules applies for new service location
it is difficult and costly to comply with....

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I’ve never seen a 120V only service larger than 60A, I think they are going to be overloading their service drop.
Possibly....... 60A @ 120V is obviously 7.2kVA. Might be enough for his 5kW load.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm sure they exist but I have never seen a 120 volt utility service over 30 amps in California. Usually the next step up was 60 amps 120/240.

Status
Not open for further replies.