Phase Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcdrwalker

I always have the POCO set me up with a CW rotation. Its easier to keep track when hooking up mechanicals. My rotometer has three lights in a triangle. The lights flash appropriatly for CW or CCW rotation.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
wasasparky said:
Yes, and it appears when it creates the new source, it does so in a clockwise fashion, regardless of the input's orientation..

I have noticed this with Freq drives also, regardless of input orientation, it always puts out clockwise, Don't know if this is true with all Freq drives, but all of the ones I've installed have done this, motor rotation has to be changed on the load side.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes, that is true of all VFDs. Since they are re-creating the psuedo sine wave, the firing pattern of the transistors is set up to output A-B-C. But in software, you can invert that as well; the VFD really couldn't care less.

Again, that's only relevant when compared to the utility power, and even then, only if there is a bypass switch involved.

I don't think that UPSs give you that option of inverting the output though, at least I have never seen one that did. They technically could do it however since they use the same basic firing methods.

480sparky

LarryFine said:
"Must have balance, Daniel-san!"

kk1_crane.jpg

:D ;) :smile:​

Status
Not open for further replies.