Phase voltage of a 3 phase 208 system is 208\1.73 = 120v what about 240 3phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Most services that began as 1-ph had line-to-neutral primaries, which is necessary to obtain an open-Delta service with only two primary lines. Line-to-line primaries would require all three phases even with an open Delta, minimizing the advantages.

A 3-phase service requires three conductors, it does not matter if it is 3 hots or 2 hots + 1 neutral. The deciding factor is the primary distribution system

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A 3-phase service requires three conductors, it does not matter if it is 3 hots or 2 hots + 1 neutral. The deciding factor is the primary distribution system
Yes, I'm well aware. When I say 'two lines', I'm not including the system neutral, which I've never seen omitted.

I've heard of SWER systems, but I can't imagine any utility would place two transformers on such a system.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I've heard of SWER systems, but I can't imagine any utility would place two transformers on such a system.
SWER stands for Single Wire Earth Return. An SWER circuit does not have enough conductors to provide 3 phase.

The advantages of an open-delta typically come from the number and sizes of the indivual transfromers not the number of conductors.

I can't remember ever seeing a utility distribution system with only 2 hots + 1 neutral. Most of the utility poles I have seen were either 3 hots + 1 neutral or 1 hot and 1 neutral.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
SWER stands for Single Wire Earth Return.
Again, I knew that. (I did, honest!)
An SWER circuit does not have enough conductors to provide 3 phase.
As I mentioned never being done.
The advantages of an open-delta typically come from the number and sizes of the indivual transfromers not the number of conductors.
The vast majority of open-Delta services I've seen had a smaller high-leg conductor, and the 3ph loads were a small portion of the entire load.
I can't remember ever seeing a utility distribution system with only 2 hots + 1 neutral. Most of the utility poles I have seen were either 3 hots + 1 neutral or 1 hot and 1 neutral.
There are plenty of them around here. Keep in mind that Richmond is a relatively old city. There are plenty of two-line (+ neutral) primary systems that supply high-leg services around here.

Of course, they're fed from 3ph systems, and often have all three phases on the pole, but there are only two transformers, each single-ended, and the high-leg transformer is obviously smaller.

In fact, a friend of mine grew up in a house that had a high leg brought to the house for just the AC compressor, served via a separate 3p disconnect, and I've wired several new services to existing high-leg systems.

In those cases, I installed 200a or 225a 1ph panels and separate 100a or 125a 3ph panels, all with reduced high-leg conductors. I'll see if I can grab some pics of transformers and services this week.

richxtlc

If you look at Rick C's third diagram on the right it sure looks like the center tapped portion is the same as a 120/240 volt house service.

It looks like the same but as I stated the input is single phase for the house service with two hot legs 180 degrees apart with a center tap on the secondary winding. The center tapped delta is a phase-to-phase centertapped winding with the phases 120 degrees apart. Although they have the same voltage characteristics the phase angle relationship is different.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It looks like the same but as I stated the input is single phase for the house service with two hot legs 180 degrees apart with a center tap on the secondary winding. The center tapped delta is a phase-to-phase centertapped winding with the phases 120 degrees apart. Although they have the same voltage characteristics the phase angle relationship is different.
Nope. The transformer with the center-tapped secondary, whether part of a Delta or not, is fed from a single primary, has a single core, and is a single winding, just like home.

In fact, a Delta can be made up with three center-tapped-secondary transformers, as long as only one tap is bonded. The Delta neutral is not symmetrical to the primary system.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
There are plenty of two-line (+ neutral) primary systems that supply high-leg services around here.

Of course, they're fed from 3ph systems, and often have all three phases on the pole, but there are only two transformers, each single-ended, and the high-leg transformer is obviously smaller.
Oh, it appears you are calling the 3W open-wye drop from the pole to the transformers or a spur circuit run for a few hundred feet a 'system'.

My point is that, across the country the predominant transformer design for 240/120V 3P 4W is an open delta because of the cost saving in transformers not because the system is fed with an open-wye (or vee).

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh, it appears you are calling the 3W open-wye drop from the pole to the transformers or a spur circuit run for a few hundred feet a 'system'.
Only because we, as the electrician, only care about "our side" of things. What would be the correct term for a primary "branch circuit?"

My point is that, across the country the predominant transformer design for 240/120V 3P 4W is an open delta because of the cost saving in transformers not because the system is fed with an open-wye (or vee).
Invariably (and redundantly - sorry), in my experience, the open-Delta services I have seen were those with mostly 120/240v loads and a smaller amount of 3-ph.

Any new POCO transformer banks are 208Y/120v 3ph. After all, who would specify a high-leg service for an all-new installation.

(Yes, I realize the Delta vs. open-Delta is a separate discussion from Delta vs Wye.)

richxtlc

Ok, I guess I have to clarify my answer, a normal overhead service that supplies a residence has a single phase to ground primary and a secondary that has two hot legs and a center tapped neutral from the secondary winding. The phase angle difference for these two hot legs are 180 degrees apart. I won't restate the above.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ok, I guess I have to clarify my answer, a normal overhead service that supplies a residence has a single phase to ground primary and a secondary that has two hot legs and a center tapped neutral from the secondary winding. The phase angle difference for these two hot legs are 180 degrees apart.
Okay. In a high-leg Delta, how would the thansformer with the center tap be any different?

Each of the primaries of a typical 3ph Y-D bank is also fed line-to-neutral. If each secondary had a center tap (and many do*; they're just not connected), the two lines would appear the same: what you call 180 degrees apart.

Added: * In 240v Deltas, that is. In 208Y/120v banks, the secondaries are reconnected in parallel inside the can to put out 120v, using only the left and center bushings.

As a matter of fact, we had a rather lengthy thread (we won't repeat) on the semantic argument of whether the lines of a center-tapped secondary were actually 180 degrees out-of-phase, or merely of opposing polarity.

Last edited:

rattus

Okay. In a high-leg Delta, how would the thansformer with the center tap be any different?

Each of the primaries of a typical 3ph Y-D bank is also fed line-to-neutral. If each secondary had a center tap (and many do*; they're just not connected), the two lines would appear the same: what you call 180 degrees apart.

As a matter of fact, we had a rather lengthy thread (we won't repeat) on the semantic argument of whether the lines of a center-tapped secondary were actually 180 degrees out-of-phase, or merely of opposing polarity.

Yes indeed, an inverted sine wave is 180 degrees out of phase from the non-inverted wave. Same as six and a half dozen.

Also, the 240V secondaries in residential systems are not connected in a delta because they share a common neutral. That is the difference between residential single phase and the high-leg delta. Everyone knows that already though.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also, the 240V secondaries in residential systems are not connected in a delta because they share a common neutral. That is the difference between residential single phase and the high-leg delta.
A residential service comes from a single secondary with a center tap. It is two 120v windings connected in series, but it's a single winding on a single core, with the tap bonded to ground and used as the neutral.

A high-leg Delta service has three of the same 240v secondaries joined in a triangular fashion, with the three juntions providing the line terminals, and one winding with a center tap bonded and used as the neutral.

What you're describing as three windings that share a common neutral is a Wye, not a Delta. The Wye has three 120v secondaries, with one end off all three secondaries joined, bonded, and used as the neutral.

The difference between a Delta and a high-leg Delta is the latter has a secondary with a grounded center tap. A Delta can be non-grounded, have one phase (or corner) grounded, or have a neutral derived.

The only reason a high-leg Delta even has a high leg is because of the conductor we opt to ground. However, that center-tapped 240v secondary is exactly the same as a single-phase 120/240v secondary.

rattus

What you're describing as three windings that share a common neutral is a Wye, not a Delta. The Wye has three 120v secondaries, with one end off all three secondaries joined, bonded, and used as the neutral.

No Larry. I am describing three secondaries from three transformers on three separate poles. The primaries are typically connected in a wye, and the three center-tapped 240V secondaries share only a common neutral/ground wire. Each primary is connected to a different phase. Some of your neighbors receive a single phase service +/- 120 degrees out from your own.

My point is that these secondaries cannot be connected in a delta as they are in a high leg service.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No Larry. I am describing three secondaries from three transformers on three separate poles.
That's not a 3-ph transformer bank; that's three individual 1-ph transformers feeding separate services, and not germain.
The primaries are typically connected in a wye, and the three center-tapped 240V secondaries share only a common neutral/ground wire.
Again, you're describing separate 1-ph secondaries. The three neutrals are common because they're all grounded, of course.
Each primary is connected to a different phase. Some of your neighbors receive a single phase service +/- 120 degrees out from your own.
No disagreement there, but that has nothing to do with this sub-discussion, which is comparing the center-tapped secondary of a high-leg Delta to that of a 1-ph service.
My point is that these secondaries cannot be connected in a delta as they are in a high leg service.
Well, one of them can, which leads to the point (okay, my point):

If you put all three of those transformers with the 120/240v secondaries onto a single pole, connect them in a Delta, and only ground ONE center tap, you have a high-leg Delta.

And, if you compare that one, center-tapped-and-grounded secondary to the secondary of one of your individual 120/240v 1-ph transformers, you will see absolutely no difference.

There's 240v between the two ends, and 120v between each end and the neutral. As Mr. Trotter said in My Cousin Vinny, "I-dentical!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.