Phone Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

swy000

Hello to everyone,

My name is Sam. This is my first post. I was looking around for a decent forum to ask some questions and this looked healthy so i thought i would ask here.:)

I purchased a Motorola corded/cordless phone MD7090 from the US and I moved temporarily to Asia. My issue is that the US is 110V while where i live its 220V.

I got 2 adpaters with my phone system:
1st:
Input = AC120V 60Hz 4.4W
Output = DC9V 200mA
Class 2 Transformer
UL certified

2nd:
Input: AC120V 60Hz 13W
Output: DC 9V 850mA
Class 2 Transformer
UL certified

I couldnt find enough info about class2 transformers but i read somewhere they can limit output. The telephone system have a 9V output (i figured that out because the phone says 9V where the adapter plugs in it)....
The big question is, can I plug this is 220V, or is it too much input and it will burn the device?

Thanks for the help,

Sam

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Phone Adapter

go to Wal-Mart.

buy a 110/220 volt travel adapter.

plug adapter into 220v socket. plug phone power xfmr into adapter.

next issue. is your cordless phone legal to use there? many countries allocate frequency spectrums differently than the USA, so it is possible your cordless phone might be in a frequency band reserved for other uses.

swy000

tshea said:
The big question is, can I plug this is 220V, or is it too much input and it will burn the device?

No (probably won't "just plug in", yes, yes.

thanx... hehe..alright, i wont plug it in....!! dont wanna burn this baby out...

go to Wal-Mart.

buy a 110/220 volt travel adapter.

plug adapter into 220v socket. plug phone power xfmr into adapter.

next issue. is your cordless phone legal to use there? many countries allocate frequency spectrums differently than the USA, so it is possible your cordless phone might be in a frequency band reserved for other uses.

naaa, the band is fine to use here... shouldnt be problem..besides everyone here is still into 2.4Ghz spectrum..this is a 5.8Ghz... but you brought up other issues that i need to question:

Do I disregard the output being 9V?
Are you saying I only need a 110/220V adapter as input, regardless of the output on the adapter?
Also, what is power xfmr? is that a power transformer?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Do I disregard the output being 9V?
Are you saying I only need a 110/220V adapter as input, regardless of the output on the adapter?
Also, what is power xfmr? is that a power transformer?

The xfmr I am referring to is commonly called a wall wart. It is what converts 120VAC to the DC power your device actually uses.

The travel adapter is just a small transformer that converts 220V to 110V so you can plug your 110V US made devices into them.

Most (but not all) electronic devices do not care whether you put 50 or 60 Hz power into them.

swy000

this is just a technical question...

Lets say the output on an adapter is stated to be 9V 850mA, and you want to replace the adapter with another one.
Regardless of input, what are the variaitions of the output that still allow to telephone to funtion correctly? i.e: can i use 9V and 1000mA or 9V and 600mA, or 7V and mA, and so forth....

thanks for the help.. Electricity is kind of new for me, im do teecommunications and networking:)

Sam

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
swy000 said:
this is just a technical question...

Lets say the output on an adapter is stated to be 9V 850mA, and you want to replace the adapter with another one.
Regardless of input, what are the variaitions of the output that still allow to telephone to funtion correctly? i.e: can i use 9V and 1000mA or 9V and 600mA, or 7V and mA, and so forth....

thanks for the help.. Electricity is kind of new for me, im do teecommunications and networking:)

Sam

the mA rating tells you how much current the wall wart can supply. as long as that rating exceeds the requirement the device has, it will work if the voltage rating is the same.

you need to be careful though. some wall warts have an ac output, others a DC output. it will say on the label. there is also not much standardization on polarity either.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Electricity is kind of new for me, im do teecommunications and networking...

I thought you were an EE grad student? I guess colleges aren't what they used to be. I learned this stuff in trade school during my high school years.

-Hal

tjlund

well I would say to Cut to the chase there are a couple of things you want to play attention to 1, if the output of the Xformer or wall wart is DC you should see something on it with reguard to polarity, if it's not what your Device needs don't use it, 2nd is the Size of the Plug, some manufactures make differances in the diameter of what plugs into the device, 3rd, with reguard to Amperage, if your Device Requires 650ma and the Xformer puts out greater then that i.e. 1000ma 850ma you should be OK however if the xformer only puts out 500ma if it works you may have some undesired functions i.e. dropped calls

and as mentioned eariler most phones, radios, Etc are not sensative to 50 Hz vers 60 Hz but I advise looking at the "user guide" or the manufactures web site

swy000

hbiss said:
Electricity is kind of new for me, i do telecommunications and networking...

I thought you were an EE grad student? I guess colleges aren't what they used to be. I learned this stuff in trade school during my high school years.

-Hal

hehe... my friend registered the nick here and took off, i had to post this myself... he's an EE grad student (1st year phd actually)....im into telecomm and networks for my grad (masters)...

well I would say to Cut to the chase there are a couple of things you want to play attention to 1, if the output of the Xformer or wall wart is DC you should see something on it with reguard to polarity, if it's not what your Device needs don't use it, 2nd is the Size of the Plug, some manufactures make differances in the diameter of what plugs into the device, 3rd, with reguard to Amperage, if your Device Requires 650ma and the Xformer puts out greater then that i.e. 1000ma 850ma you should be OK however if the xformer only puts out 500ma if it works you may have some undesired functions i.e. dropped calls

and as mentioned eariler most phones, radios, Etc are not sensative to 50 Hz vers 60 Hz but I advise looking at the "user guide" or the manufactures web site

that makes sense... i get what you mean..i did run into your 2nd note btw... i purchased the adapter and then noticed i got the wrong size :oops: ...returned it and got the new one with higher mA...

thnx alot guys..prob solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.