Phone jack tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I was checking a phone jack, and it said reverse polarity on my tester. I wired it correctly I was thinking, so I plug in a phone and I had a dial tone. I called the Ph.# also, and it rang. If I have a dial tone, then there was no need to call it also correct? I just remember tip & ring so I thought maybe I should call it. I really don't even know what tip & ring is. Anyway I checked another jack and it lighted green correct polarity. Any idea whats going on? Thank you for your help.

mcclary's electrical

I was checking a phone jack, and it said reverse polarity on my tester. I wired it correctly I was thinking, so I plug in a phone and I had a dial tone. I called the Ph.# also, and it rang. If I have a dial tone, then there was no need to call it also correct? I just remember tip & ring so I thought maybe I should call it. I really don't even know what tip & ring is. Anyway I checked another jack and it lighted green correct polarity. Any idea whats going on? Thank you for your help.

Is this a new home run? or could it be spliced wrong somewhere?

Older Touch-Tone(tm) phones were polarity sensitive- the dial wouldn't work but otherwise they're work. Pretty much all POTS line devices made in the last 20 years have a "polarity guard" built in so it doesn't matter. I suppose there are still a few devices are sensitive to it, but very few.

The terms Tip and Ring come from the 3-conductor plug on a switchboard. The third conductor was Sleave. The talking goes over T and R, and the S is used only for switching supervision. The terms have hung around for, what, 80+ years.

zappy

Older Touch-Tone(tm) phones were polarity sensitive- the dial wouldn't work but otherwise they're work. Pretty much all POTS line devices made in the last 20 years have a "polarity guard" built in so it doesn't matter. I suppose there are still a few devices are sensitive to it, but very few.

The terms Tip and Ring come from the 3-conductor plug on a switchboard. The third conductor was Sleave. The talking goes over T and R, and the S is used only for switching supervision. The terms have hung around for, what, 80+ years.

Thanks. How about a fax machine, will it work?

kwired

Electron manager
I have not seen a phone or fax or modem that cares about polarity of phone line in order to work.

Polarity is easily reversed when making your own device cordsets if you do not pay attention to which way you install the ends. I never pay attention to this and never have any problems.

As zbang said older equipment may be polarity sensitive.

wireguru

these days it doesnt really matter, most phones made in the last 20 years (maybe more) or so arent polarity sensitive.

luckylerado

Most electrical appliances do not care about polarity either but I bet none of you hook up your receptacles backwards. The fact is that some systems are polarity sensitive and it is always better to do it right the first time. Take the time to know.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Most phones made in the last 20 years (maybe more) or so arent polarity sensitive.

That started with the breakup of the phone company which brought the modular cord system. Take a look at modular cords and all the adapters available and you will see that the polarity will be reversed each time a cord is plugged into something. So polarity is not an issue today at least for anything that uses a modular jack. Still it is proper workmanship to get the polarity right at a wall jack and if it is correct at the demarc, observing the proper color code throughout the premises wiring should make that a no-brainer. But sometimes somebody will do a hack job and use modular plugs, line cordage and modular adapters for premises wiring. If you find that don't expect the polarity to be correct.

-Hal

TOOL_5150

so does TRS really mean Talk, Ring, and switch - then changed to tip-, ring, sleave?

~Matt

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
so does TRS really mean Talk, Ring, and switch - then changed to tip-, ring, sleave?
Nope, merely the three contacts.

The old switchboard plugs were similar to, but not exactly like, today's 1/4" stereo headphone plugs. The tip is the left channel (or mono) contact, the ring is the right channel, and the sleeve is the common, the ground, the body.

Added: TRS also means (or, meant) Tandy Radio Shack, as in the Trash-80 computer.

Last edited:

Volta

Nope, merely the three contacts.

The old switchboard plugs were similar to, but not exactly like, today's 1/4" stereo headphone plugs. The tip is the left channel (or mono) contact, the ring is the right channel, and the sleeve is the common, the ground, the body.

Added: TRS also means (or, meant) Tandy Radio Shack, as in the Trash-80 computer.

'Tis Really So?

90% of the time, tip-ring polarity makes no difference for phones, but, old pre-divestiture equipment with a touch tone keypad (stuff made between 1965-1984), won't dial with the wrong polarity.
So, it's a non-issue with modern single-line phones, but, some phone systems require consistent polarity to switch calls between extensions, because they use the "phantom pair" that exists between two pairs.
And obviously, T1, ISDN and Cat 3/5/6 Ethernet LAN jacks have to have all 4 pairs properly polarized, so, it's a good idea to develop good work habits now.
After all, the code does require the job to be neat and workmanlike.

paul_msc

The rotary phones in my house when growing up had 3 wires, RG+Y. If you left the yellow off, it wouldn't ring. That's back in the days when they charged per # of phones in the house, leaving off the yellow would make add'l phones undetectable by keeping the load down when the electro-mechanical bells rang.

Volta + Kwired, at my wife's office (matrimonial lawyers), they used trs-80's with their 8" floppy disks for years running wordperfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.