phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

As an electrician I am not to good with the phone wiring maybe you guys can help.

What would cause a phone jack to be able to recieve calls but not make them. Other jacks in the same house have no problem.

hurk27

Re: phones

I have never had this problem come up But I do know reverseing the tip and ring will cause some problems with some after market phones. and even pay phones will tend to not want to hang up very fast when this is done. grounding one of the wires also causes all sorts of problems too.

dereckbc

Staff member

Could be a number of problems. Can you take just one phone around and it works on all jacks except one using the same satin cord? If so it might be the receptacle in the jack, or a loose connection inside the jack or at a splice.

Lift the reciever at the bad jack and listen to the dial tone, see if it sounds weak.

Another thing is the phone could be polarity sensitive. Lift the reciever, listen for dial tone, then push a button and listen for the touch tone. If you do not hear it, try reversing the red and green wires in the jack and see what happens.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

What would cause a phone jack to be able to recieve calls but not make them?

Ordinarily nothing. If you have a known good phone plug it in and tell me what happens. When you say that you cannot make calls, when you pick up the handset do you get a dialtone? If so I assume then that when you dial nothing happens? Is this a touch tone phone? If so when you push the buttons what do you hear from the receiver?

Give me the answers and we will see where the problem is. This really isn't difficult.

-Hal

jes25

I had some existing with reversed wires. Swapped the red and green, works fine. Problem solved, with your help of course. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.