Physical Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary b

What is the definition of "physical damage" as used in 352.10(F)? Also how does this definition compare to the term "severe physical damage"?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Physical Damage

I don't think you will find a definition for either of those terms, only your inspector knows when they see it.

gary b

Really, no guidelines? Only the inspector knows for sure? I did a search and found no definition, only opinions. Surely there must be some definitive guidelines of what is physical damage and what is severe.

bphgravity

Common sense. If it is exposed to conditions that would result in severe damage you would most likely be aware of it. Places outdoors exposed to vehicular traffic including lawn equipment and places indoors where vehicles may be like warehouses or garages will typically be exposed to severe damage. We also have a policy of considering any exposed service raceways as exposed to severe damage regardless of its location to physical contact.

I would get with your local inspectors and ask what their guidelines are. Most likely they will tell you it is a job specific determination.

jwelectric

I don?t usually get involved in these type of discussions but I will just this once.

Physical damage- what mom does to a disobedient child. :(

Severe physical damage- what dad does after mom gets done. :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

And I suppose that "damage control" is what Grandpa does to undermine Mom and Dad's disciplinary authority? :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bphgravity:
We also have a policy of considering any exposed service raceways as exposed to severe damage regardless of its location to physical contact.
Well that makes perfect sense. :confused:

gary b

Would a good explanation be that if it is cracked or broken but it does not affect the operation of the equipment is "physical damage" and if it is destroyed and the equipment cannot continue to operate be "severe physical damage'?

ryan_618

Originally posted by gary b:
Really, no guidelines? Only the inspector knows for sure? I did a search and found no definition, only opinions. Surely there must be some definitive guidelines of what is physical damage and what is severe.
Unfortunatley, interpreting the undefined terms in the NEC is the job of the AHJ. I also would rather it be black and white, but I don't think it can be in this instance. :(

BTW: Give me a call one of these days Gary, we need to get together.

jimwalker

Safe to say every piece of wire in New Orleans was subject to damage

[ September 07, 2005, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

"I may not be able to define "subject to physical damage", but I know it when I see it!"

Does all this mean we don't have to protect conductors from emotional damage? :p

allenwayne

The poor people that have lived 24 ft. below sea level and were protected by a levey I guess all circuits should have been gfci protected.What better example of a wet location than there ;)

jimwalker

Untill now i never knowed about how they lived.Have cajun friend that taught my wife how too cook there food.Never knowed they were pumping water for years :( Why did the government allow this ? :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.